An integral part, and part of the fun, of any cruise is planning for it. Preparing for a bareboat charter includes a number of responsibilities to consider.
Here is a list of “Dos and Don’ts” of planning for your cruise.
• Do make travel arrangements well in advance.
• Do leave some extra time in your itinerary and dollars in your budget.
• Do use up-to-date charts and guides when making your plans.
• Do note stopover points where you can refresh supplies, including food and water, or pump out the holding tank.
• Do make back-up plans for adverse wind and weather conditions.
• Do make sure everyone knows beforehand about medical conditions that may exist among the crew and the procedures for handling any situations that may arise.
• Don’t over-plan.
* For the best cruising instruction like this, purchase Bareboat Cruising on the US Sailing Store. US Sailing’s network of accredited schools offer seven levels to help you sharpen your skills and gain confidence. Learn more