Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals Online (TCFO) gives you the building blocks of good instructional practices to become an effective educator on and off the water.
Created through a partnership project with the United States Olympic Committee, this free, online course merges the worlds of teaching & coaching. At US Sailing we do both, teach and coach. The course focuses on keeping learning safe and fun while breaking down complex skills into smaller parts or focus skills in an effort to build a lifelong sailor.
***NOTICE OF CHANGE TO PLATFORM***
As of September 8th, US Sailing has moved TCFO to a new platform, www.firsttack.org. The prior platform will cease operations on September 15th, 2021. For anyone who has completed the course by the 15th in the USOPC managed system (77 media), your certificate will be logged in your MyUS Sailing account. For anyone who has not completed the course by September 15th, your progress will be lost. We apologize for any issues this may cause.
*** During Account Creation make sure to set up US Sailing membership to receive completion credit***
What Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals Online covers
- Updated information about safety & risk management
- Multiple pathways teaching
- Different learning styles
- The US Sailing Signature Progression of Learning. This includes chalk talk, land drill and water drill with instructor demo and student practice, followed by a debrief.
- Updated material from the original Teaching Fundamentals for Sailing Instructors
By being better educated and more aware of how people learn and how to keep the sport fun while focusing on skill development, each of us will contribute to the future of our sport and its athletes. Once you complete the online course, your TCFO training will be logged on your membership record in the US Sailing database.
Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals (TCFO is a prerequisite for the following courses:
- Basic Keelboat Instructor
- Safe Powerboat Handling Instructor
- Reach Educator
- Adaptive Sailing Instructor
- Small boat Level 1 Instructor
All Race Administration Seminar Leaders, Instructors, Coaches, Instructor Trainers and Safety at Sea Seminar Leaders must complete TCFO at their earliest re-certification point -- whichever comes first -- in order for their certification to remain valid.