The Regional Symposiums (RS) provide an opportunity for organizations to share ideas and concerns about sailing education and programming within the various regions throughout the country. All are welcome regardless if you’re from a Community Program, Commercial School, Yacht Club, High School/College program, an instructor, Committee Chair, Flag Officer or from any other organization (sailing specific or not).
The event is set in a round table format designed for productive exchanges between participants. US Sailing provides the moderator to facilitate discussion and offer a national perspective on some of the issues that face our industry.
- Agenda topics serve as a starting point for addressing a myriad of issues
- Events are held on Saturdays from 10:00 AM- 4:00 PM
- $10 for US Sailing members, $25 for non-members (unless otherwise stated)
- Lunch is included with registration
***NEW IN 2020***
Several of the Regional Symposiums will feature a new two-day format. In the agenda below, these new format events are designated with a "^".
- Includes a half-day workshop led by Reed Maltbie and a presentation by a regional or national subject matter expert on an identified area of regional concern.
- These events combine a dedicated presentations with the round-table model.
- Events are held on Saturdays from 09:30 AM- 4:30 PM and Sunday from 9:00 AM- 12:30 PM.
- $25 for US Sailing members, $40 for non-members (unless otherwise stated).
- Lunch on Saturday is included with registration
About Reed Maltbie
Coach Reed Maltbie is Founder of Raising Excellence, which trains coaches, educators, and sport leaders through digital learning, live workshops, and custom-built education and certification systems. His clients range from grassroots to National Governing Bodies. His services include curriculum support, coach development resources, and the deployment of large scale education, certification, and mentor programs to thousands of coaches across North America.
He is also the Co-Creator of Positive Discipline Tools for Coaches with Dr. Jane Nelsen, which are focused on empowering coaches to implement social emotional learning and behavioral collaboration methods in coaching, helping coaches communicate, collaborate, and reduce conflict more effectively with young athletes. PD Tools for Coaches uses online Masterclasses, workshops, and trainer certification programs to deploy the DP methods for coaches.
Since the release of his 2015 TEDx Talk “Echoes Beyond the Game”, he’s become a regular guest on radio shows, podcasts, and TV programs across the globe and a highly regarded public speaker known for his dynamic, insightful, and compelling presentations. Reed has worked with US Sailing in a number of capacities, including as part of the Siebel Sailors Program and as a keynote for the Sailing Leadership Forum, National Sailing Programs Symposium and National Coaching Symposium.
2020 Regional Symposiums
***All spring Regional Symposiums have been postponed due to concerns related to the Coronavirus***
|Region||Date||Host Club/ Organization||City/State||Registration link||Agenda/
|South Atlantic||January 24||SAYRA Annual meeting||Hilton Head, SC||-||Click here|
|Northeast^||Community Boating, Boston||Boston, MA||POSTPONED||Coming Soon|
|NY/NJ||Bay Shore Yacht Club||Bay Shore, NY||POSTPONED||Coming Soon|
|Mid-Atlantic^||Hampton Yacht Club||Hampton, VA||POSTPONED||Coming Soon|
|Midwest^||Mentor Harbor Yacht Club
||Mentor, Ohio||POSTPONED||Coming Soon|
|No. California^||Spring 2020
||TBA||San Francisco, CA||Coming soon||Coming Soon|
|Great Lakes||November 7-8
||Wayzata Community Sailing
||Click here||Coming Soon|
|Pacific Northwest||Early November||TBA||Washington||Coming soon
|So. California^||Fall 2020||TBA||San Diego, CA||Coming Soon
|Southeast||Fall 2020||TBA||Florida||Coming Soon
^indicates Reed Maltbie Workshop included
We're looking for 2021 hosts already! Would your club be interested in hosting a Regional Symposium? If the answer is yes, please contact Stu Gilfillen at email@example.com or complete the hosting form.
US Sailing Regional Symposiums - Notes & Quotes
Archived notes, quotes and recaps from US Sailing Regional Symposiums (RS):
- Mount Dora Yacht Club - October 5, 2019
- Oakcliff Sailing Center - November 1, 2019
- Bay City Yacht Club - November 9, 2019
- Southeast Fall - December 1, 2018
- Gulf Coast Fall - November 30, 2018
- Midwest Fall - November 16, 2018
- Northeast Fall - November 2, 2018
- Stamford Yacht Club – November 18, 2017
- St. Francis Yacht Club – February 20, 2015
- Balboa Yacht Club – November 8, 2014
- Cottage Park Yacht Club – November 8, 2014
- Oakcliff Sailing Center – November 8, 2014
- Davis Island Yacht Club – November 1, 2014
- Crescent Sail Yacht Club – October 11, 2014
- Austin Yacht Club – October 10, 2014