The Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop covers all aspects of creating and managing an adaptive sailing program.
Topics Include facility requirements, disability types/populations, breaking down barriers to participation, safety requirements, volunteer/staff training and a detailed overview of how to correctly adapt your equipment (or what equipment is available to purchase). A heavily interactive course, attendees will go through a variety of exercises to help them better understand what’s required to teach sailors with disabilities including; physical, intellectual, vision impairments, autism, etc.
If you are interested in hosting an Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop, please review the Adaptive Endorsement Host Checklist first.
Then, Fill out the online "Host a Course Form."
Course Length & Requirements
This is a three-day course. In order to receive the Adaptive Instructor Endorsement, candidates must hold either a current US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 or Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification. If you do not hold a current US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 or Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification you may audit the workshop with restrictions. To view a complete listing of the workshop prerequisites Click Here.
The Adaptive Sailing Resource Manual will be shipped to your course. You can review a free online copy of the manual here.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
The course registration fee is as follows:
- $350 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
- $370 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
- $420 if received within one (1) week of course start date
- Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Training office is given enough notice:
- More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
- Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course
- Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.