The Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop covers all aspects of creating and managing an adaptive sailing program.
Topics Include facility requirements, disability types/populations, breaking down barriers to participation, safety requirements, volunteer/staff training and a detailed overview of how to correctly adapt your equipment (or what equipment is available to purchase). A heavily interactive course, attendees will go through a variety of exercises to help them better understand what’s required to teach sailors with disabilities including; physical, intellectual, vision impairments, autism, etc.
If you are interested in hosting an Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop, please review the Adaptive Endorsement Host Checklist first.
Then, Fill out the online "Host a Course Form."
Course Length & Requirements
This is a three-day course. In order to receive the Adaptive Instructor Endorsement, candidates should be US Sailing Certified Instructors with at least a Small Boat Level 1 or US Sailing Basic Keelboat certification to receive the Adaptive Instructors Endorsement!. If you do not hold a current US Sailing Instructor Certification you may audit the workshop.
SafeSport. This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- A few notes on completing Safesport...
- Enter your US Sailing member number. If you need to find it click here.
- Complete all the modules.
- You DO NOT have to complete it all at once. The course allows you to log in and out without losing your progress.
US Sailing Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals (TCFO). This approximately 90-minute online course is free. A guide on how to complete the course can be found here and a few Frequently Asked Questions are answered here. Candidates who have not completed TCFO will not be allowed to participate in the online section of Level 1. ***During account creation make sure to set up memberships to receive completion credit.
To view a more complete listing of the workshop prerequisites click this link : Adaptive Workshop New Prerequisites 1.19.2021
The Adaptive Sailing Resource Manual will be shipped to your course. You can review a free online copy of the manual here.
US Sailing has implemented a number of COVID-related requirements for anyone attending a course. Please review them carefully before proceeding:
Us Sailing COVID and TRAVEL GUIDELINES:
- More restrictive state guidelines shall supersede any requirements listed below.
- Candidates located in a low-risk state (a state whose COVID positivity rate has remained lower than 5% for at least 14 days) may attend any seminar in any low-risk state.
- Candidates located in a high-risk state (a state whose COVID positivity rate has been greater than 5% at any point during the last 14 days) may attend a course in their state only without testing. Additionally, they must be located within a 200-mile radius of the course location for 14 days prior to coming to the course.
- Candidates located in a high-risk state may attend any course, provided that they can produce a negative test result from a COVID-19 test administered no longer than 72 hours before their arrival at the course.
- Upon request, test results should be available for review by the US Sailing Instructor Trainer who is teaching the course.
- Transitory travel: Candidates who are passing through other states on their way to the course are permitted stop in other states, but this exception extends only so long as is reasonably required for the traveler to complete their transit, make any necessary airplane, bus, or train connection, or make use of travel services such as at a highway rest stop.
- Check the rates here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity
All candidates must self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 daily starting fourteen (14) days prior to the course using the COVID-19 Screening tool (click here to download).
- Each person should take their temperature daily prior to arrival at the course. If their temperature is 100.4 degrees or over, the person should not come to the course and should notify their Instructor Trainer (IT) immediately.
- Candidates must arrive to the course wearing a face covering. Face coverings should always be worn while on land. They should be worn at the candidate’s discretion on the water.
- If someone feels sick during the course, they should immediately notify their Instructor Trainer and remove themselves from the course area.
- If an individual has had a documented case of COVID-19, they will need a note from their doctor indicating they are cleared to participate in the course.
- Candidates must complete the waiver and adhere to social distancing.
- Candidates will be required to bring their own supplies and equipment. Sharing will not be allowed. Equipment that candidates should bring includes:
- Mask (CDC face covering Guidelines here)
- Life Jacket
- Sailing Gear
- Writing utensils and supplies. This includes paper, pens, pencils, and whiteboard markers. Whiteboard markers will not be provided for the course.
- Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
The course registration fee is as follows:
- $350 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
- $370 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
- $420 if received within one (1) week of course start date
- Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Training office is given enough notice:
- More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
- Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course
- Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
Please select "Enroll Now" to see a full list of prerequisites and to register.
|Download the COVID-19 Screening tool and begin self-evaluating your health 14 days PRIOR to attending the in-person session.||Download the Covid 19 Screening tool|
|Download the optional medical form. If you choose to complete this form, please bring it with you to the course.||Download the optional Medical Form|