The Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop covers all aspects of creating and managing an adaptive sailing program. Topics Include facility requirements, disability types/populations, breaking down barriers to participation, safety requirements, volunteer/staff training and a detailed overview of how to correctly adapt your equipment (or what equipment is available to purchase). A heavily interactive course, attendees will go through a variety of exercises to help them better understand what’s required to teach sailors with disabilities including; physical, intellectual, vision impairments, autism, etc.
Course FORMAT & Length
This is a three-day, 25 hour course.
- SafeSport. This program, developed by the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- US Sailing Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals (TCFO). This approximately 90-minute online course is free. A guide on how to complete the course can be found here and a few Frequently Asked Questions are answered here. Candidates who have not completed TCFO will not be allowed to participate in the online section of Level 1. ***During account creation make sure to set up memberships to receive completion credit.TAKE TEACHING AND COACHING FUNDAMENTALS ONLINE
- It is strongly recommended that all participants hold US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 or Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification. However, non-certified participants make take part in the workshop. Participants that do not hold a current US Sailing Instructor Certification will not receive the Adaptive Sailing Instructor Endorsement at the completion of the course. Any non-US Sailing Certified participant wishing to become a US Sailing Certified Small Boat or Basic Keelboat Instructor with the Adaptive Endorsement will have up to 1 year after successful completion of the Adaptive Workshop to successfully complete the US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 or US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Course. It is up to the participant to inform and provide proof of certification to US Sailing within this time period to be eligible to receive the Adaptive Instructor Endorsement.
To view a more complete listing of the workshop prerequisites click this link : Adaptive Workshop New Prerequisites 6.23.21
- Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
- In order to receive the Adaptive Instructor Endorsement, candidates should be US Sailing Certified Instructors with at least a Small Boat Level 1 or US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor certification to receive the Adaptive Instructors Endorsement!. If you do not hold a current US Sailing Instructor Certification you may audit the workshop.
WHAT YOU CAN TEACH WITH THIS CERTIFICATION
There is no corresponding student certification for this course.
The Adaptive Sailing Resource Manual will be shipped to your course. You can review a free online copy of the manual here.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
The course registration fee is $370 per person.
Cancellation Policy AND TRANSFER POLICY
Course fees are non-refundable but are transferable to another course up to 1 week prior to the course start date. The fee for all transfers is $25.00
To transfer into a different session:
- Log in to your US Sailing account here: MyUSSailing
- Select the My Certs and Courses tab from the options on the left, then click the transfer link.
- Submit Payment details
- Confirm transfer
- Course Transfers are not available within the week of the course start.
US Sailing reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur or course minimums are not reached. In the event the course is unable to proceed, a course credit will be made available which is good for one (1) year or you may choose a refund.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
Please select "Enroll Now" to see a full list of prerequisites and to register.
If you are interested in hosting an Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop, please review the Adaptive Endorsement Host Checklist first. Then, fill out the online "Host a Course Form." Questions? email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Download the optional medical form. If you choose to complete this form, please bring it with you to the course.||Download the optional Medical Form|
If you would like to be notified when an instructor course becomes available in your state please add your name to our contact list.
Check back for other additions to the course calendar- course are posted once venue and IT are determined.