Vision & Purpose
Sailing is evolving. At US Sailing, we’re not just adapting . . . we’ve changed our heading, streamlined our governance, leveraged technology to expand our reach and optimized our organizational structure. We now have an efficient platform to launch the new US Sailing Foundation and develop the resources to launch the sport of sailing into the future.
A future where . . .
- inclusion and diversity is the standard
- newcomers enjoy access to affordable and inclusive local sailing communities
- every sailor is trained to the highest possible standards in their choice of equipment
- every competitor has opportunities to excel and achieve their personal best
- extraordinary talent is fully prepared to compete and win at pinnacle events around the world
The Current Context
Throughout the sailing community, there is concern over the future of our sport, but the fragmented nature of sailing makes common solutions and unified action elusive.
In recent years, US Sailing has focused on developing channels that expand access and raise the bar in training and competitive standards; but it’s not enough.
Sailing Must Change Faster because the World is Changing Faster
The US Sailing Foundation will secure the resources required for US Sailing to develop innovative and dynamic programs that represent the way people want to sail, provide the skills to master technically advanced equipment and align with the way we all consume information and connect to each other.
Governance and Financials
The United States Sailing Foundation (USSF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. In accordance with IRS regulations, copies of our audited financial statements and Form 990 for the current and two previous years are posted. Financial information for the United States Sailing Foundation will be updated each year upon completion of the audited financial statements and filing of the Form 990.
USSF Board of Directors
- William Ruh, Chairman
- Brian Keane, Vice Chairman
- Glenn Darden, Secretary
- Johnny Lovell, Treasurer
- Roger Gatewood
- Linda Lindquist
- Cory Sertl
- Tom Whidden
- Jack Gierhart, US Sailing CEO
USSF Board of Trustees
- Jane and Bruce Burton
- Steve and Michelle Meehen
- James Schoonmaker
- Tom and Stacey Siebel