US Sailing recognizes that the cancellation of sailing events and courses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult or impossible for some officials to meet the requirements for reappointment.
The Race Administration Committee has adopted a temporary policy to accommodate officials whose renewals are due in 2020 and who may not be able to meet the requirements for reappointment.
- If you can meet the requirements this year, please apply for renewal as usual. If necessary, you may count events and education from the past five years (2016-2020).
- If you cannot meet the events and training requirements this year, on request you will receive an automatic extension until December 31, 2021, during which time you will remain certified and insured.
Advisory on Umpire Training Seminars
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, US Sailing is strongly recommending that all Race Management, Judge and Umpire Seminars scheduled in March be postponed until it is safe to reschedule them. It may be necessary to do the same for seminars in April. For further information, please contact the seminar organizer or the Race Administration Office - email email@example.com or call (401) 342-7948.
An umpire functions as a race official by applying the rules of the sport (match racing or team racing) to racing situations, primarily on the water, as situations occur to resolve rules issues.
To umpire match and team races is no easy task, but you will find that the satisfaction of contributing to the growth of our sport and serving competitors makes the work well worth the effort.
Personal Attributes of Race Officials
Because race officials play an important role in ensuring the fairness and quality of competition, racing sailors and US Sailing expect a high level of personal integrity and judicial temperament of certified race officials. To learn more about standards of personal conduct for race officials and how they are evaluated, please click on the button below.
Materials for Umpires
- Certified Umpire Assessors
- 2021 Match Race Umpire Manual
- World Sailing Case and Call Books
- Contact the Umpires Committee