December 3-4, 2019
Coconut Grove, Florida
The National Coaching Symposium is two days of workshops and hands-on sessions with some of the leading sailing coaches in the country. The event features experts from a variety of areas and sports and focuses on both skill development and technical training.
If you're a coach who's looking to hear the latest ideas, compare notes with the nation’s best, and pursue professional development, then you need to be attend this event. Registration includes coffee and lunch both days of the event.
Director of Sport Development, USA Volleyball
Since 1985 John has been working for the National Governing Body of the sport, USA Volleyball (USAV), now as Director of Sport Development. He currently serves as the staff liaison for Disabled Programs, USA Deaflympic Teams, Starlings USA, National Parks and Recreation Assoc., the YMCA and over 30 other Affiliated Organizations working with USAV. He is Secretary of the NORCECA Technical and Coaches Commission, and Director of Development for World ParaVolley. He was Team Leader for the 2000 USA Olympic Beach Volleyball Teams in Sydney, which brought home one gold medal, and for the 2004 USA Paralympic Women’s Sitting Volleyball Team in Athens, which came home with the bronze medal. In 1995, Volleyball Magazine’s special Centennial issue named him one of the 50 most important people in the sport in the past 100 years. In 2013 the American Volleyball Coaches Association inducted him as their 60th member of the AVCA Coaches Hall of Fame. Read more
Dr. Nicole LaVoi
Senior Lecturer, social and behavioral sciences of physical activity, University of Minnesota
Senior Lecturer, social and behavioral sciences of physical activity
Nicole M. LaVoi, Ph.D. is a Senior Lecturer in the area of social and behavioral sciences in the School of Kinesiology at the University of Minnesota where she is also the Co-Director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport. She received MA (’96) and doctoral degrees (’02) in Kinesiology with an emphasis in sport psychology/sociology from the University of Minnesota. After completing her graduate work, Dr. LaVoi was a Research & Program Associate in the Mendelson Center for Sport & Character at the University of Notre Dame (2002-‘05) where she helped launch the Play Like a Champion character education through sport series, and was also an instructor in the Psychology Department. LaVoi was an Assistant Professor of Physical Education and the Head Women’s Tennis Coach at Wellesley College (1994-’98), and the Assistant Women’s Tennis Coach at Carleton College (1991-’93).
Through her multidisciplinary research she answers critical questions that can make a difference in the lives of sport stakeholders—particularly girls and women. As a leading scholar on women coaches LaVoi has published numerous book chapters, research reports and peer reviewed articles across multiple disciplines. Her seminal research includes the annual Women in College Coaching Report Card which is aimed at retaining and increasing the number of women in the coaching profession, and a groundbreaking book Women in Sports Coaching (2016). Read more
Click on links to learn more. Full bios (and more speakers) coming soon.
2019 TRAVEL PLANNING
The following hotels are offering group rates for the National Coaching Symposium:
The Mutiny Hotel located on 2951 South Bayshore in Coconut Grove will offer the following special room rates from November 26th – December 4th, 2019. All rooms must be booked by October 30, 2019.
- $179 per night, plus tax -- One Bedroom Suite with Queen size bed, separate living room with a sofa bed, with fully equipped kitchen (refrigerator, stove top, oven, microwave, dishwasher), washer & dryer in unit
- $249 per night, plus tax -- Two bedroom Suite with 2 Queen size beds, separate living room with a sofa bed, with fully equipped kitchen (refrigerator, stove top, oven, microwave, dishwasher), washer & dryer in unit
Group Rates may begin on earlier dates based on availability.
Amenities: Fitness Center, Business Work Center, Swimming pool
Parking: Parking is available at $25 per day with unlimited in/out privileges. There is also public parking available for less money nearby.
Cancellation Policy: Reservations must be cancelled 7 days prior to check-in to avoid penalty of one night room and tax.
Please contact Elizabeth Kratzig at Sailing Team Travel directly to make reservations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Soak up the style and tranquility of the luxurious The Mayfair At Coconut Grove. Located in the heart of Coconut Grove, this artistic masterpiece blends design elements from Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Mexico, and South America, to pamper guests in an atmosphere that is both intimate and indulgent.
- $189 per night Mayfair Suite-King
- $189 per night Mayfair Suite-Double
- 2018 Presentations (Please click on a presentation to open it.)
- The American Development Model: Practical Applications Across the Olympic Sport Family (Nadine Dubina)
- Leadership Secrets of the World's Greatest Coaches (Reed Maltbie)
- Managing Athlete & Coach Risk (John Pearce & David Liebenberg)
- Next Generation Coaching: How Athlete Data Will Enhance Your Coaching (Mike Kuschner & Fred Strammer)
- Building competitive programs in a Community Sailing Environment (Molly Vandermoer)
- Rule Situations at International Regattas (Dave Perry)
- ODP Update (Leandro Spina)
- Coaching Team Racing (Amanda Callahan)
- Sail & Rig Analysis (Grant Spanhake)
- Analyzing Sail Shape from the Coach Boat (Mike Ingham)
- Delete Your Weather Apps (Chris Bedford)