Invite local sailing programs, universities, local non-profits, and marine industry to host a station.
This is a perfect event to engage with other organizations in your community and possibly be invited to participate in their events gaining more exposure for your program and more potential partners and sponsors. Allow around two hours for the event and begin planning several months in advance.
Please provide some info about you, your organization, and your anticipated STEM Night date and we\’ll provide you with some useful materials to help make it happen. Also, we promise not to give your contact information to anyone without your permission- it\’s just to let us know who\’s promoting STEM.
- Invite other programs, local non profits, colleges, and marine industry to participate – Download the Sailing Through STEM Flyer 6.10.14 sample
- Invite parents and participants – CYC Reach Invitation sample
- Ask host stations to complete the Station Host form for information on what they will need when they arrive; power, a tent, water, etc. Download the Station Host Form example
- Send out a press release – Link to Press Release
- Add an article to your monthly newsletter – California Yacht Club’s The Breeze, July 2014 issue
- Create a Program with Trivia questions about each station. -Download the Sailing through STEM Night Program
Sailing Through STEM at Charleston Race Week!
US Sailing partnered with Sperry Charleston Race Week to create new pathways for our sailors in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education.
Sperry Charleston Race Week, the largest keelboat regatta in North America, hosted sailors from around the world on April 20-23, 2017. In conjunction with the event, US Sailing hosted “Sailing Through STEM Day” on Saturday, April 22 at the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina at Patriot’s Point from 10:00 am-2:00 pm EST.
Youth came down to Charleston Harbor Resort at Patriot’s Point on Saturday to join in on three different activities including:
- Simple Machine Scavenger Hunt
- How to Pack a Sustainable Lunch
- Land Sailing
Sailing Though STEM Night at California Yacht Club with USODA Nationals
150 youth sailors navigated their way into “Sailing through STEM Night” on Friday, July 25th during USODA Nationals at California Yacht Club.
The event featured 10 interactive stations for sailors to visit followed by a presentation from North Sails designer, Mike Marshall on the science and technology in sail making. Kids who are likely to spend a lifetime involved in boat-related activities engaged in investigations about marine science, conservation, engineering, and design. The stations were hosted by outreach organizations, local sailing programs implementing US Sailing’s STEM program – Reach, and marine research organizations. Participants investigated ocean acidification, plastics in water column, weather data, buoyancy, simple machines, and green energy. Read more.