The Small Boat Level 3 Coach Workshop provides coaches with information on how to effectively develop performance boat handling and racing skills and instill in athletes the importance of ethical behavior and sportsmanship in the sport of sailing. This classroom-based workshop includes topics such as race management procedures, team management, logistics, drills and teaching the Racing Rules of Sailing. This is the competitive branch of the Level 3 tracks that US Sailing offers.
COURSE FORMAT & LENGTH
This is a two-day, 16-hour, classroom-based course. Attendance at all course sessions is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
- Current US Sailing Individual, College or Family Membership.
Youth membership is not applicable, and only one instructor is allowed per family membership.
- Current Small Boat Level 2 Instructor certification.
Candidates may enroll in a Level 3 Coach Workshop at any point after achieving the Level 2 Instructor Certification.
- Coaching experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multihulls or day sailing keelboats.
- Valid SafeSport Certificate.
The following are required for successful completion of this courses:
- Attendance at all portions of the course.
- Passing the Racing Rules of Sailing Test.
- Submission of a practice plan.
The practice plan will be reviewed by the Coach Trainer.
- A positive evaluation by the Coach Trainer.
Demonstrate professional conduct, an open-minded, positive and enthusiastic attitude, appropriate appearance (clothing, footwear and tidiness), participation in discussions, collaboration skills/team player, confidence and ease of manner.
WHAT YOU CAN TEACH WITH THIS CERTIFICATION
There is no corresponding student level certification to this course, but it is required for attendance at some US Sailing events.
Course materials include:
- Small Boat Sailing- Level 3 Coach Workbook
- The Racing Rules of Sailing 2021-2024. Candidates should download the Racing Rules of Sailing App to access the rulebook.
The course registration fee is:
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
CANCELLATION & TRANSFER POLICIES
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course up to 1 week prior to the course start date. The fee for all transfers is $25.00.
To Transfer into a different session:
- Log in to your US Sailing account here: MyUSSailing
- Select the My Certs and Courses tab from the options on the left, then click the transfer link.
- Submit Payment details
- Confirm transfer
Course Transfers are not available within the week of the course start.
US Sailing reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur or course minimums are not reached. In the event the course is unable to proceed, a course credit will be made available which is good for one (1) year or you may choose a refund.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
Please select "Enroll Now" to see a full list of prerequisites and to register. Registration closes one week prior to the course start date.
Reminder: In order to register for this course, you must hold a current Small Boat Level 2 Instructor certification.
If you are interested in hosting an Level 3 Coach Course, please fill out the online "Host a Course Form." Questions? email: firstname.lastname@example.org.