The Smallboat Level 3 Coach Workshop provides coaches with information on how to effectively develop performance boat handling and racing skills and instill in athletes the importance of ethical behavior and sportsmanship in the sport of sailing.
It is a two-day classroom workshop that includes topics such as race management procedures, team management, logistics, drills and teaching the Racing Rules of Sailing. This is the competitive branch of the Level 3 tracks that US Sailing offers.
This is a two-day, 16-hour course. Attendance at all course sessions is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
PREREQUISITES FOR ENTRANCE INTO THE COURSE
- Current Small boat Level 2 Instructor certification. Candidates may enroll in a Level 3 Coach Workshop at any point after achieving the Level 2 Instructor Certification. Current certification also requires an appropriate US Sailing membership and current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Coaching experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multihulls or day sailing keelboats.
- Completed SafeSport Training
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF COURSE & CERTIFICATION
- Attendance at all portions of the course. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from evaluation
- Pass the Racing Rules of Sailing Test.
- Submission of a Practice plan.
- Personal and Interpersonal Practical Skills. Demonstrate professional conduct, an open-minded, positive and enthusiastic attitude, appropriate appearance (clothing, footwear and tidiness), participation in discussions, collaboration skills/team player, confidence and ease of manner. A positive evaluation by the Instructor Trainer is also included in this component.
Please plan on reviewing materials prior to the course as they include the foundation topics for the Workshop. Materials include:
- Small Boat Sailing- Level 3 Coach Workbook
- Sailing Drills Made Easy
- The Racing Rules of Sailing 2021-2024
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment. The course registration fee is:
- $325 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
- $345 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
- $395 if received within one (1) week of course start date
- Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Education Department is given enough notice:
- More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
- Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course
- Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
US Sailing reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur. In the event the course is unable to proceed and US Sailing changes the course format for any reason a full course credit will be made available which is good for 1 year
INSTRUCTOR COURSE REQUIREMENTS:
- Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
In order to register, I understand that I must either hold a Smallboat Level 2 Certification or be registered for the corresponding Level 2 course held prior to this Level 3 course.