August 25, 2022 – August 28, 2022
Newport, Rhode Island
Results & Reports
- Notice of Race
- Register here
- Registration List
- SafeSport handbook
- US Sailing Championships Code of Conduct
- 2021 – Tom Whitehurst – Formula Wave
- 2019 – Matt Bounds – Hobie 14
- 2018 – Randy Smyth – Weta Trimaran
- 2017 – Phil Collins – Hobie 17
- 2016 – Ken Marshack, Valarie Pioszak – Hobie 18
- 2015 – Michael Easton, Tripp Burd – Formula 18
- 2014 – Lars Guk – A Cat
- 2013 – Enrique Figueroa, Carla Malatrasi – Hobie 16
- 2012 – Sarah Newberry, Kenny Pierce – Formula 16
- 2011 – Matt Struble, Damon Lacasella – Viper F16
- 2010 – Pete Melvin, Nat Shaver – C2 F18
- 2009 – John Casey, John Williams – Viper F16
- 2008 – Nigel Pitt, Alex Shafer – F18
- 2007 – John Casey, John Williams – Blade F16
- 2006 – Robbie Daniel, Hunter Stunzi – Nacra 20 spi
- 2005 – Greg Thomas, Jacques Bernier – Hobie Tiger spi
- 2004 – Mike Montague, Kathy Ward Hobie – 16 no spi
- 2003 – Matt Struble, W.F. Oliver Javelin – F18HT spi
- 2002 – Matt Struble, Domonique Martin – Hobie Tiger spi
- 2001 – Matt Struble, Mike Kletke – Inter 20 spi
- 1999-2000 – Keith Christensen, Shala Youngerman – Hobie 20
- 1998-1999 – Randy Smyth, Keith Notary – Nacra 6.0na
- 1997-1998 – Pete Melvin, Roger Jenkins – Hobie 20
- 1996 – Jeff Newsome, Sandra Tartaglino – Inter 18
- 1995 – Randy Smyth, Jason Sneed – Hobie 20
- 1994 – Bob Curry, Kirk Newkirk – Mystere 6.0
- 1993 – Randy Smyth, Bert Rice – Nacra 5.5
- 1992 – Lake Tahoe, CA Larry Suter, Nick Scandone – Hobie 20
- 1991 – Carlton Tucker, Sean Donnelly – Prindle 19
- 1990 – Randy Smyth, Glenn Purcell – Prindle 18-2
- 1989 – Alan Egusa, Paul Parizeau – Hobie 21
- 1988 – Carlton Tucker, Mary Alice Tucker – Hobie 18
- 1987 – Carlton Tucker, Jarrett Melvin – Nacra 5.7
- Committee Chair: John Nekus
- Event Chair: Gary Knapp
- Committee List
- US Sailing Representative
- There are no hotels within walking distance of the venue. org is a great resource for local accommodations and dining.
- Use any of the following accommodation search sites or others to find suitable lodging to fit your budget:
- www.Expedia.com – for hotels and apartments
- www.hometogo.com – this site searches all vacation rental sites
- www.vrbo.com – vacation rental options
- www.Airbnb.com – vacation rental options
- There is a water taxi that runs from the Newport waterfront to Fort Adams which could be used to transit from downtown hotels to Sail Newport.
- NEAREST AIRPORT
- Rhode Island T.F. Green Airport is the closest major airport and is located 28 miles from the venue.
About This Event
Hosted by: Sail Newport
72 Fort Adams Drive
Newport, Rhode Island
August 25 – 28, 2022
F 18 Catamarans
Registration Payment Schedule: Early Registration – $300.00 up to April 30, 2022 Regular Registration – $350.00 May 1 to July 15, 2022 Late Registration – $400.00 after July 15, 2022
*Want to reserve you spot, complete the registration form and select Non-refundable Deposit and pay only $50.00 upfront and the balance later * See Registration Payment Schedule above.
US Sailing Waivers, Code of Conduct, Depiction Release All competitors are required to fill out a form in order to be eligible to compete.
*Charter boats may be available locally and through Red Gear Racing. For charter boat information contact:
Red Gear Racing (Goodall Boats): Jill Nickerson at Funinthesunweb@gmail.com
Local Private Boats: Chris Bulger 617-785-4963 firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please remember to bring breakfast and lunch each racing day as it will not be provided.
Social Event Schedule:
- Wednesday 8/24 Sail Newport Bar Service 4PM-8PM
- Thursday 8/25 Dinner hosted by NAASF at Sail Newport
- Friday 8/26 Sail Newport Bar Service 4PM-8PM
- Saturday 8/27 Sail Newport Dinner and Bar 4PM-8PM
- Sunday 8/28 Sail Newport Bar Service 4PM-7PM
The U.S. Multihull Championship is one of several prestigious championships hosted by US Sailing and sailed in selected one-design class boats.The perpetual trophy was presented and named the Alter Trophy in 1986 in honor of Hobie Alter, Sr. and his extraordinary promotion of one-design multihull sailing and racing programs.
- The event is sailed in a different multihull class each year.
- 2022 Event will be sailed in F 18 Catamarans.
- This is a bring your own boat event.
- Crew size: Skipper and one (1) Crew.
- The championship is an open event (there is no selection process).
- Membership in US Sailing is required at all levels of competition for U.S. citizens and resident- aliens.
- Other nationalities must be members of their National Governing Body.
- All competitors must be members of their national F18 Class Association.
- Open to all F18 catamarans conforming to the International Formula 18 Class Rules.
The U.S. Multihull Championship for the Hobie Alter Trophy has become one of the nation’s major sailing championships, having featured world champions from numerous classes, Olympic medalists and several national champions from the multihull ranks.
The U.S. Multihull Championship was conceived by the Multihull Council in the spring of 1985 as a service to multihull racing sailors. It is intended to determine a U.S. national multihull champion and is sailed annually in various types of multihulls.
Originally the championship had the good fortune of having manufacturers provide new boats including Hobie, Inter, Nacra, Prindle, Mystere and Bimare classes but in 2013, the decision was made to rotate it each year through the various classes of catamarans to better represent the depth of multihull sailing in the United States.