Adaptive Sailing Program Considerations in a COVID-19 Environment
There are many factors for community sailing centers and yacht clubs to consider before starting an adaptive sailing program or re-starting existing adaptive programming in a COVID-19 environment. A group of experienced adaptive sailing programmers will discuss these considerations LIVE on The Starboard Portal on Tuesday, June 23 at 2pm EDT / 11am PDT.
The panel will share their plans for restarting programs for persons with disabilities in the current pandemic and there will be time for questions from the participating audience.
They will also discuss the importance of getting persons with disabilities back on the water. Adaptive sailing for some people is the only sport they can participate and compete in totally on their own.
The panel will address the challenges organizations face and how they are assessing, modifying, and mitigating sailing programs by changing procedures, policies, and approaches to sailing.
Adaptive Sailing Panel:
- Spencer Raggio: Y-Knot Adaptive Sailing (Lake George, NY)
- Chris Naughton: Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors (BAADS) (San Francisco, CA)
- Rich White: Clearwater Community Sailing Center (Clearwater, FL)
- Andrew Alletag: Community Boating Inc. (Boston, MA)
- Betsy Alison (Moderator): Adult Director at US Sailing and former US Sailing Team Paralympic Coach