The Small Boat Level 2 Instructor Course focuses on developing knowledge and skill in teaching sail theory, sail controls, introductory management skills, spinnaker and trapeze use (and instruction) and powerboat operation for emergency situations.
Safety awareness is a major component of this course, with instruction on how to address capsize recovery, or prevent entrapment while operating a powerboat. It is a certification level course that combines classroom and on the water education using Smallboat Sailing Level 2 Instructor Guide, and the accompanying Level 2 Workbook, as a texts.
COURSE FORMAT & LENGTH
This is a 2-day, 16-hour course. Attendance at all course sessions is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
- Meeting the minimum age.
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Candidates under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
- Current Small Boat Level 1 Small Boat Instructor Certification.
Please note that candidates must wait six (6) months after completing their Level 1 Instructor course before attending a Level 2 Instructor course (i.e. candidates cannot take Level 1 and Level 2 back to back in the same season).
- Current US Sailing Individual, College or Family Membership.
Youth membership is not applicable, and only one instructor is allowed per family membership.
- Experience sailing on dinghies and/or day sailing keelboats
- Experience operating a powerboat.
This skill will be evaluated, but not taught, at the course. Instructor Candidates who feel that they are lacking adequate experience should either seek opportunities for practice or attend a US Sailing Safe Powerboat Handling Course. Examples of the maneuvers that will be tested can be found on US Sailing's Instructor Resources webpage.
- Ability to swim 50 yards with a life jacket.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate personal and interpersonal skills.
- Completion of CDC Concussion Training program.
Candidates must submit certificate of completion at the course.
The following are required for successful completion of this courses:
- Attendance at all portions of the course.
- Successfully passing all written tests and skill evaluations.
- A positive evaluation by the Instructor Trainer.
Demonstrate professional conduct, an open-minded, positive and enthusiastic attitude, appropriate appearance (clothing, footwear and tidiness), participation in discussions, collaboration skills/team player, confidence and ease of manner.
Small Boat Level 2 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- Valid SafeSport Certificate. This program, developed by the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
WHAT YOU CAN TEACH WITH THIS CERTIFICATION
Certified Level 1 Instructors may sign off on skills in the Little Red Book and Intermediate Level skills in the Skill Up App.
The following materials are provided for the course.
• Small Boat Sailing Level 2 Instructor Guide
• Small Boat Level 2 Workbook
• Safety and Rescue and Support Boat Handling
The course registration fee is: $350. Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
CANCELLATION & TRANSFER POLICIES
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course up to 1 week prior to the course start date. The fee for all transfers is $25.00
To transfer into a different session:
- Log in to your US Sailing account here: MyUSSailing
- Select the My Certs and Courses tab from the options on the left, then click the transfer link.
- Submit Payment details
- Confirm transfer
Course Transfers are not available within the week of the course start.
US Sailing reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur or course minimums are not reached. In the event the course is unable to proceed, a course credit will be made available which is good for one (1) year or you may choose a refund.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
Please select "Enroll Now" to see a full list of prerequisites and to register. Registration closes one week prior to the course start date.
Reminder: In order to register for this course, you must hold a current Small Boat Level 1 certification.
If you are interested in hosting an Level 2 Instructor Course, please fill out the online "Host a Course Form." Questions? email: email@example.com.