The US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Trainer (IT) Course certifies qualified US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructors to train sailing instructors to teach beginning sailing. The Instructor Trainer Course is conducted by Master Instructor Trainers, experts in the field of sail training
The areas covered during the four-day IT Course include: practical sailing skills demonstrations, communicative and interpersonal skills, team building techniques, sports psychology/physiology, development of training aids, evaluation techniques, video feedback on teaching styles, lesson/program planning, record keeping, problem solving skills, marketing for the Basic Keelboat Instructor Course and legal concerns.
To train professionals in the methods and theories of the US Sailing Instructor Training Program and To provide Instructor Trainer candidates with the information, tools, and confidence to conduct a Basic Keelboat Instructor Course
COURSE LENGTH AND AGE REQUIREMENTS:
The Basic Keelboat IT course is 44-hours (4-days). Instructor candidates are required to attend the course in its entirety to be evaluated. Suggested minimum age is 24 years old. Consideration will be given to younger candidates depending upon experience, training and teaching ability.
- Basic Keelboat Instructor certification is required.
- Instructor Trainer candidates should have at least three years teaching experience in an approved sail training program. Exceptions to this requirement may be granted if the candidate has taught three years outside the sailing environment and possesses the adequate sailing experience to transfer these teaching skills to sailing.
- A high level of sailing skills is expected. Instructor Trainer candidates should be competent in any boat in any situation.
- Current U.S. Coast Guard approved First Aid and CPR certification are required and must be kept current. A state licensed EMT must submit proof of certification and renew whenever expiring. Licensed M.D.s or R.N.’s fulfill this requirement.
- Prerequisites also include submission of the names of two references that are familiar with the candidate’s recreational activities covering sailing, teaching and general employment pertinent to becoming an Instructor Trainer.
- Current US Sailing membership is required and must be renewed annually.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF COURSE & VALIDATION:
Successful completion of the course requires passing the following:
- Sailing Skills – Practical Evaluation
- Safety Boat Handling Skills – Practical Evaluation
- Teaching and Communication Skills – Practical Evaluation
- Basic Keelboat Instructor Exams-Written
- Final Evaluation by the Master Instructor Trainers, Training Services Manager and/or Training Committee Representative
Validation of an Instructor Trainer will be for one year and continues at the recommendation of US Sailing. The Instructor Trainer is expected to maintain the highest level of professionalism and teaching quality and to support the US Sailing Training Program. The Instructor Trainer is hired by US Sailing as a temporary consultant and receives compensation only for instructor courses conducted, including associated responsibilities. To remain active, an Instructor Trainer must teach a minimum of one course every two years and maintain current First Aid, CPR, and US Sailing membership.
Materials – These materials will be sent prior to the course:
- Basic Keelboat Instructor Manual
- Basic Keelboat Student Book
- Instructor Trainer Handbook
- Basic Keelboat Instructor Review Questions
The fee for the four-day course is $350. Payment must be made by credit card or check payable to US Sailing and must be received at least two weeks prior to the course.
The fee for the four-day course is $350. Payment must be made by credit card or check payable to US Sailing and must be received at least two weeks prior to the course. You can apply at any time, we will keep your application on file for the next course.