BRISTOL, R.I. (September 19, 2014) – Narragansett Bay proved to be the perfect match for the speedy, stealth A-Cats on Day 1 of the U.S. Multihull Championship, hosted by the Bristol Yacht Club.
The conditions on the Bay were nothing short of spectacular on Friday. The weather featured sunny skies, breezes exceeding 15 knots at times, and temperatures in the high 50s/low 60s.
A-Cat expert Lars Guck (Barrington, R.I.) wasted no time in asserting himself in the fleet. Guck won each of the four races with ease. He capsized in Race 4, yet still managed to recover and win the final race of the day. He leads Philip Kinder (Portsmouth, R.I.) by five and Chris Museler (Portsmouth, R.I.) by seven. Guck, Kinder, and Museler placed first, second and third respectively in three of the four races. Guck is a multi-time winner of the A-Cat North American Championship.
Hear what Lars had to say about Friday’s racing, A-Cat sailing, and more:
Watch a Race 3 leeward mark rounding in Hyperlapse:
— US Sailing (@ussailing) September 19, 2014
Photos from Thursday’s practice race and preparation:
— Ben Hall (@admiralusa99) September 18, 2014
Media & Coverage
- For results, standings, video highlights from Chris Love, photos, Twitter updates, and more information on the 2014 U.S. Multihull Championship, please visit the event website. Video highlights and the photo gallery will be posted Saturday morning.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use Twitter hashtag – #MultihullChamps14 – to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
Schedule & Race Course
- First warning is scheduled for 11:00 am EDT through Sunday
- On Sunday, no warning signal will be made after 2:00 pm EDT
- Courses will be windward/leeward with drop marks
- Three races must be completed to constitute a US Sailing Championship.
- When fewer than seven races have been completed, a boat’s series score shall be the total of her race scores.
- When seven or more races have been completed, a boat’s series score shall be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score.
Prizes on the Line
- US Sailing medals will be awarded to the first, second and third place competitors.
- The winning competitor will have his or her name placed on the Hobie Alter Trophy. The perpetual trophy was presented and named the Alter Trophy in 1986 in honor of Hobie Alter, Sr. and his extraordinary promotion of one-design multihull sailing and racing programs.
- The highest ranking U.S. competitor will be named the 2014 United States Multihull Champion.
For the first time in U.S. Multihull Championship history, the Hobie Alter Trophy is being decided in A-Class Catamarans, popularly known as A-Cats. This championship rotates in discipline each year to showcase the depth of classes in multihull racing.
The U.S. Multihull Championship is sponsored by Old Pulteney, Hobie Polarized and Gill North America. Gill will be providing shirts for the sailors, Hobie Polarized will be providing the winners with sunglasses and Old Pulteney will host a whiskey tasting for participants (21 and older) on Saturday night. This championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certified event.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Old Pulteney
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky is strongly rooted in the whisky’s nautical heritage and is commonly referred to as ‘The Maritime Malt.’ Old Pulteney is the Official Scotch of US Sailing and recently released a limited-edition ‘Navigator’ expression, commemorating the brand’s sponsorship of the 2013-2014 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Crafted in Pulteney Distillery in Wick, Scotland, the distillery was founded in 1826 by James Henderson in the heart of “Pulteneytown,” one of the largest fishing ports in Europe. Each Old Pulteney expression is carefully crafted and carries the windswept and rugged character of the North and the salty, fresh air of the North Sea. It is distributed by International Beverage, Inc. Visit Old Pulteney on Facebook or at www.oldpulteney.com for more information.