- Increase the quality of STEM instruction delivered by sailing centers throughout the US.
- Increase youth environmental stewardship.
- Create a sustainable and replicable model using sailing as an educational medium.
- Create a resource pool providing tools and best practices.
- Provide training, professional development, and mentorship to ‘Hubs’, ‘Sub Hubs’, and ‘Emerging Hubs.’
Provide guidance, feedback, and direction for organizations seeking to improve their own programming, partnership building, and funding.
- Drive systemic change using sailing as an educational platform to teach STEM and environmental stewardship.
- Inspire students to become environmental stewards and socially responsible individuals.
- Create a network of Reach ‘Hubs” as “Sailing Centers of Excellence” improving current standards and developing best practices for other programs. Resources will be developed to help various levels of programming – from the initial stage of integrating Reach modules into an existing program to the cultivation of creating a leading STEM “Hub”.
Guiding Environmental Principles
- Environmentally literate citizens are individuals who are able to weigh various sides of an environmental issue and make responsible decisions as individuals and as members of the community.
- Quality environmental education improves everyday life and economic prosperity by protecting human health and encouraging stewardship of natural resources.
- Creating a robust environmental education model in the region, will contribute to approaches that improve environmental literacy and behavior nationwide.
Who is implementing US Sailing’s Reach Program?
Northeast Regional Reach Network:
- Community Boating Center; Providence, Rhode Island – Northeast Reach Center of Excellence
- New England Science and Sailing; Stonington, Connecticut – Northeast Reach Center (see video)
- Community Sailing Center; Lake Champlain, VT – Northeast Reach Center
- Community Boating Inc.; Boston, MA – Northeast Reach Center
- The Waterfront Center; Oyster Bay, New York – Northeast Reach Center
Mid-Atlantic Regional Reach Network:
- Downtown Sailing Center; Baltimore, MD – Mid-Atlantic Reach Center of Excellence (see article)
- Hudson River Community Sailing; New York City, New York – Mid-Atlantic Reach Center
- Sail Nauticus; Norfolk, Virginia – Mid-Atlantic Reach Center
- Baltimore County Sailing Center; Essex, MD – Mid-Atlantic Reach Center
- SUNY Maritime; Bronx, New York – Mid-Atlantic Reach Center
Reach Programs: (new Regional Reach Networks will be developed throughout the US)
- Edison Sailing Center – Fort Myers, FL
- Life Sail – Van Nuys, CA (see STEM Night video)
- DC Sail – Washington, D.C.
- Milwaukee Community Sailing Center – Milwaukee, WI
- Sea Affinity – Baltimore, Maryland
- Westwind Sailing – Dana Point, CA
- Sarasota Youth Sailing – Sarasota, FL
- Conanicut Yacht Club – Jamestown, RI
- Community Boating Center of New Bedford – New Bedford, MA (see article)
- Mystic Seaport – Mystic, Connecticut
- Lake Minnetonka Sailing School – Deephaven, MN
- Vermilion Boat Club Sail Camp – Verrmilion, OH
- Community Sailing of Colorado – Greenwood Village, CO
- Canal Dock Boathouse Inc. – New Haven, CT
- Sea Scout Base Galveston – Galveston, TX
- Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School – Honolulu, HI
- Go Yachting – Chicago, IL
- Yellow Sailboat – Destin, FL
- Coronado Yacht Club Junior Sailing – Coronado, CA
- Cottage Park Yacht Club – Winthrop, MA
- Waterfront Education/King Harbor Boating Foundation – Torrance, CA
- Oak Park Education Foundation – Oak Park, IL
- Park City Sailing – Park City, UT
- Sailing Center Chesapeake – Tall Timbers, MD
- Sail Sand Point – Seattle, WA
- INLAND NORTHWEST SEA SCOUT SQUADRON – Eastport, ID
- Rochester Yacht Club – Rochester, NY
- SeaAffinity, Inc – Baltimore, MD
- Hoover Sailing Club – Westerville, OH
- RHYC Sailing School – Rock Hall, MD
- St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club – Panama City, FL
How can I implement Reach?
1. Register your instructors for US Sailing’s STEM Educator Course.
2. Purchase the Reach Educator’s Guide
3. Register your program with US Sailing.
When implementing Reach, US Sailing recommends all on the water instructor are US Sailing certified Instructors that have added US Sailing’s STEM Educator Course. Each location will have very different potential partner organizations. Start by contacting your local private and charter schools. Depending on your current relationship you may want to reach out to a science teacher and then an administrator. Our most successful programs have built relationships with local educators, schools, youth organizations, along with content specific professionals and organizations. US Sailing is available to offer tools, resources, and connections.
If you are interested in implementing Reach contact us.