Why should a sailing center apply to become accredited? What are the benefits of the program?
- Organizations that are accredited are recognized nationally as the top sailing centers in the country in terms of safety and teaching standards, quality of staff and instruction, professionalism and how the center offers access and enjoyment of sailing to the public.
- Accredited Centers are able to use their distinction to attract donors and win grants. Accredited Centers are also eligible for specific grant opportunities through US Sailing.
- Accredited Centers are included in a network of Accredited Centers, receiving semi-annual emails from the US Sailing Accreditation Working Party with helpful information and best practices.
- Accredited Centers are eligible for a 50% annual discount on a Level 2 or Level 3 US Sailing Small Boat Instructor course.
- Accredited Centers’ staff members are invited to participate in the governing process that molds, shapes and improves the quality and reach of US Sailing programs, by being involved with the Community Sailing Committee.
- Accredited Centers are encouraged to fly the “Community Sailing Center” flag (awarded alongside accreditation) at their center, as well as to use the formal logo in their promotional materials each year.
- Accredited Centers are able to use the application process to examine and review their own programming from top to bottom. This is a healthy exercise for any organization and can often reveal areas for improvement or examples that can be shared with other organizations.
Keelboat Certification System
The US Sailing Keelboat Certification System offers seven levels of certification. They range from Basic Keelboat through Offshore Passagemaking. These certifications follow a building-block technique of combining learned skills with experience. New sailors gain knowledge and experience at each level and can take their sailing skills as far as they want to go at their own pace.
The US Sailing Keelboat Certification System is a cooperative effort among sailing schools, charter companies, the sailing industry, and US Sailing volunteers and staff. The system began in 1993 at the suggestion of representatives of several commercial sailing schools around the United States.
It is designed to provide quality training and certification in keelboats for day sailing, coastal cruising, bareboat chartering, navigation and offshore passage making.
Powerboat Training Centers
Powerboat Training Centers are established under the Drivers Education for Boaters Grant from the United States Coast Guard, Division of Boating Safety. Powerboat Training Centers promote and educate their constituent groups on the importance of boating safety and on-the-water training. Training Centers are the backbone of our education initiative.
Powerboat Training Centers are eligible to receive funding for scholarships, equipment such as boats and engines, and marketing/advertising support.
Find a training center near you!
These sanctioned training centers are supported by US Powerboating and the United States Coast Guard and offer our full complement of educational programs:
- Arizona Sailing Foundation – Tempe, AZ
- Best Boat Club – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Bourne Community Boating – Bourne, MA
- California Maritime Academy – Vallejo, CA
- Camp Sea Gull/Seafarer – Arapahoe, NC
- Chicago Yacht Club – Chicago, IL
- Community Boating, Inc. – New Bedford, MA
- Downtown Sailing Center – Baltimore, MD
- Duxbury Bay Maritime School – Duxbury, MA
- Edison Sailing Center – Ft. Myers, FL
- Gateway/South Coast Sailing School – Kemah, TX
- Mariner Sailing School at Belle Haven Marina – Alexandria, VA
- North Carolina Boat Rentals – Southport, NC
- Orange Coast College – Newport Beach, CA
- Pettipaug Sailing Academy – Essex, CT
- Premier Sailing – Irvington, VA
- Safe Waters Mobile Training Program – Serving CT, NY, NJ
- Sail Newport – Newport, RI
- San Diego Yacht Club – San Diego, CA
- SUNY Maritime College – Bronx, NY
- The WaterFront Center – Oyster Bay, NY
- Univ. of South Florida St. Petersburg – St. Petersburg, FL