Small Boat Level 1 Instructor - In Person Session
Congratulations on completing the online section of your level 1 course! If you've arrived at this page and have not already completed the online section of the course, please click here to register for the online Level 1 course . You must complete the online section of Level 1 before you are eligible to attend an in-person section.
The in-person section of the Level 1 course is approximately 18-20 hours and students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics.
IN-PERSON SECTION REQUIREMENTS:
US Sailing has implemented a number of COVID-related requirements for anyone attending a course. Please review them carefully before proceeding:
UPDATED TRAVEL GUIDELINES:
- More restrictive state guidelines shall supersede any requirements listed below.
- Candidates located in a low-risk state (a state whose COVID positivity rate has remained lower than 5% for at least 14 days) may attend any seminar in any low-risk state.
- Candidates located in a high-risk state (a state whose COVID positivity rate has been greater than 5% at any point during the last 14 days) may attend a course in their state only without testing. Additionally, they must be located within a 200-mile radius of the course location for 14 days prior to coming to the course.
- Candidates located in a high-risk state may attend any course, provided that they can produce a negative test result from a COVID-19 test administered no longer than 72 hours before their arrival at the course.
- Upon request, test results should be available for review by the US Sailing Instructor Trainer who is teaching the course.
- Transitory travel: Candidates who are passing through other states on their way to the course are permitted stop in other states, but this exception extends only so long as is reasonably required for the traveler to complete their transit, make any necessary airplane, bus, or train connection, or make use of travel services such as at a highway rest stop.
- Check the rates here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity
All candidates must self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 daily starting fourteen (14) days prior to the course using the COVID-19 Screening tool (click here to download).
- Each person should take their temperature daily prior to arrival at the course. If their temperature is 100.4 degrees or over, the person should not come to the course and should notify their Instructor Trainer (IT) immediately.
- Candidates must arrive to the course wearing a face covering. Face coverings should always be worn while on land. They should be worn at the candidate’s discretion on the water.
- If someone feels sick during the course, they should immediately notify their Instructor Trainer and remove themselves from the course area.
- If an individual has had a documented case of COVID-19, they will need a note from their doctor indicating they are cleared to participate in the course.
- Candidates must complete the waiver and adhere to social distancing.
- Candidates will be required to bring their own supplies and equipment. Sharing will not be allowed. Equipment that candidates should bring includes:
- Mask (CDC face covering Guidelines here)
- Life Jacket
- Sailing Gear
- Writing utensils and supplies. This includes paper, pens, pencils, and whiteboard markers. Whiteboard markers will not be provided for the course.
- Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
REGISTRATION/ STEPS TO SIGNING UP:
Please review the steps below for signing up. The blue buttons on the right will direct you to the necessary step in the registration process.
|1. Register below from the course calendar|
|2. Download the COVID-19 Screening tool and begin self-evaluating your health 14 days PRIOR to attending the in-person session.||Download the Covid 19 Screening tool|
|3. Download the optional medical form. If you choose to complete this form, please bring it with you to the course.||Download the optional Medical Form|
For more information, please reference the Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Course page.
If you would like to change the course that you are registered for, make a course transfer request, please submit this form: TRANSFER REQUEST
Please note that due to registration processing, course availability is not guaranteed. Candidates will be notified if space is unavailable.
AVAILABLE COURSES: (More are being added once confirmed, check back often)
Course contacts and Instructor Trainers do not have the ability to add additional spaces to a full course.
If you are interested in attending a course it's at capacity, please add you name to the waitlist and you will be notified if a space becomes available.
Attendance at the entire course is necessary for certification. If an instructor candidate does not attend, withdraws or fails this portion, the full course fee of $140 will be required to retake and register for another session.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have.