Small Boat Level 1 Instructor - In Person Session
Congratulations on completing the online section of your level 1 course! If you've arrived at this page and have not already completed the online section of the course, please click here to be directed to the Level 1 course info page.
The in-person section of the Level 1 course is approximately 18-20 hours and students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics. Please remember that completion of the online session is mandatory prior to signing up for an in person session.
IN-PERSON SECTION REQUIREMENTS:
US Sailing has implemented a number of COVID-related requirements for anyone attending a course. Please review them carefully before proceeding:
- UPDATED TRAVEL GUIDELINES:
- Participants located in a state whose positivity rate (i.e., out of all tests conducted, how many came back positive for COVID-19) has remained lower than 5% for at least 14 days may attend any seminar in a state with a rate of 5% or lower.
- Participants who must drive or fly through another state that does not meet those parameters are not eligible to participate. More restrictive state guidelines shall supersede these requirements.
- Participants located in a state whose positivity rate is higher than 5% may attend a seminar in their state only, and must have been in the general geographic location (50 mile radius) of the seminar for 14 days prior to coming to the seminar.
- Check the rates here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity
- All candidates must self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 daily starting fourteen (14) days prior to the course using the COVID-19 Screening tool (click here to download). Each person should take their temperature daily prior to arrival at the course. If their temperature is 100.4 degrees or over, the person should not come to the course and should notify their Instructor Trainer (IT) immediately.
- Candidates must arrive to the course wearing a face covering. Face coverings should always be worn while on land. They should be worn at the candidate’s discretion on the water.
- If someone feels sick during the course, they should immediately notify their Instructor Trainer and remove themselves from the course area.
- If an individual has had a documented case of COVID-19, they will need a note from their doctor indicating they are cleared to participate in the course.
- Candidates must complete the waiver and adhere to social distancing.
- Candidates will be required to bring their own supplies and equipment. Sharing will not be allowed. Equipment that candidates should bring includes:
- Mask (CDC face covering Guidelines here)
- Life Jacket
- Sailing Gear
- Writing utensils and supplies. This includes paper, pens, pencils, and whiteboard markers. Whiteboard markers will not be provided for the course.
- Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
REGISTRATION/ STEPS TO SIGNING UP:
Please review the steps below for signing up. The blue buttons on the right will direct you to the necessary step in the registration process.
|1. After completing the online section of the Small Boat Level 1 instructor course, please select a two-day in-person session. A full list of available courses is listed below. Please be aware that there may be a discrepancy between the availability of spaces listed in the selection form versus the list below, as the list below is manually updated. The most accurate information will be shown when you click the button to the right. If there's no space listed, that course is full.||Select an in-person section|
|2. Submit the Course Waiver & Release. If you are a minor, your parent or guardian will also need to sign this. Please note that this is an online-only form.||Submit the Course Waiver|
|3. Download the COVID-19 Screening tool and begin self-evaluating your health 14 days PRIOR to attending the in-person session.||Download the Covid 19 Screening tool|
|4. Download the optional medical form. If you choose to complete this form, please bring it with you to the course.||Download the optional 2020 Medical Form|
For more information, please reference the Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Course page.
Please note that due to registration processing, course availability is not guaranteed. Candidates will be notified if space is unavailable.
AVAILABLE COURSES: (More are being added once confirmed, check back often)
Attendance at the entire course is necessary for certification. If an instructor candidate does not attend, withdraws or fails this portion, there is a $200 fee to retake and register for another session.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have.