Small Boat Level 1 Instructor - In Person Session
***The online section must be completed prior to attending the in-person section***
The in-person section of the Level 1 course is approximately 18-20 hours and students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics.
IN-PERSON SECTION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of the online section of the Level 1 course.
- A Safe Boating course that is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master’s or OUPV license are exempt from this requirement. Candidates who do not have a NASBLA approved Safe Boating Certificate will not be allowed to participate in the in-person section Level 1 Instructor course.
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- SafeSport. This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- A few notes on completing Safesport...
- Enter your US Sailing member number. If you need to find it click here.
- Complete all the modules.
- You DO NOT have to complete it all at once. The course allows you to log in and out without losing your progress.
- A few notes on completing Safesport...
- Attendance at all portions of the course is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course will require retaking the entire course for certification.
REGISTRATION/ STEPS TO SIGNING UP:
Please review the steps below for signing up. The blue buttons on the right will direct you to the necessary step in the registration process.
|1. Register below from the course calendar after you have secured a space in an online session|
|2. Download the COVID-19 Screening tool and begin self-evaluating your health 14 days PRIOR to attending the in-person session.||Download the Covid 19 Screening tool|
|3. Download the optional medical form. If you choose to complete this form, please bring it with you to the course.||Download the optional Medical Form|
For more information, please reference the Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Course page.
You must complete the online section of Level 1 before you are eligible to attend an in-person section.
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Education Department is given enough notice, in writing:
- More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
- Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
- Less than 24 hours' notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
***All courses are subject to cancellation if course minimums are not met within 2 weeks of the course start date.
US Sailing reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur. In the event the course is unable to proceed and US Sailing changes the course format for any reason a full course credit will be made available which is good for 1 year.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
If you would like to change the course that you are registered for, make a course transfer request, please submit this form: TRANSFER REQUEST
Please note that due to registration processing, course availability is not guaranteed. Candidates will be notified if space is unavailable.
AVAILABLE COURSES: (More are being added once confirmed, check back often)
Course contacts and Instructor Trainers do not have the ability to add additional spaces to a full course.
If you are interested in attending a course it's at capacity, please add you name to the waitlist and you will be notified if a space becomes available.
Attendance at the entire course is necessary for certification. If an instructor candidate does not attend, withdraws or fails this portion, the full course fee of $140 will be required to retake and register for another session.
Please contact email@example.com and we'll be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have.