SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (October 3, 2014) – With high pressure blocking the early seabreeze, the race committee staged the first three races of Round Robin One in light easterlies against an ebb tide current that the boats could barely overcome. As expected, a seabreeze eventually gathered steam in that ultimate Venturi tube, the Golden Gate, but it came with a long delay. Racing resumed mid-afternoon in a light seabreeze—the normal direction on San Francisco Bay—allowing Round Robin One to go to completion.
Nathan Hollerbach of the Chicago Match Race Center had the only perfect 7-0 record for the day, but had to work hard for it in Race 7 against Dave Dellenbaugh of Pequot YC, Easton, CT. Hollerbach carried a thin lead through the first weather mark rounding, but Dellenbaugh gained enough through the race to tack inside him on the next weather leg—both boats were sailing in flood tide relief close to the cityfront and host St. Francis YC—and Dellenbaugh led around the second weather mark. The finish was overlapped and the win went to – Hollerbach, whose crew includes Taylor Canfield, Mike Rehe and Maggie Shea.
Dave Perry (Pequot YC) and Ryan Davidson (Balboa YC) are tied for second place at 5-2. Racing continues through Sunday. The fate of Round Robin 2, planned for Friday, is yet to be determined.
*Race report and photo provided by Kimball Livingston.
Here is a sample of today’s social media coverage:
— Kimball Livingston (@blueplanettimes) October 4, 2014
AP down 1006. The 1st round of #USMatchRacing Championship will start in light easterlies on SF Bay.
— US Sailing (@ussailing) October 3, 2014
Media & Coverage
- For results, standings, photos, Twitter updates, and more information on the 2014 U.S. Match Racing Championship, please visit the event website.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use Twitter hashtag – #USMatchRacing – to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
Schedule & Race Course
- The course will be windward/leeward with optional offset legs in the event of cross-course current, resulting in port or starboard roundings and finishing downwind.
- The intended course area will be the San Francisco Bay city front adjacent to the St. Francis Yacht Club.
- Stage 1: Double Round Robin – Each team will sail every other team twice. The four highest finishing skippers from the Round Robin will advance to Stage 3. The next four highest finishing skippers from Stage 1 will advance to Stage 2.
- Stage 2: 5-8 Consolation Knock-out – A knock-out series, first to score 2 points, skipper finishing 5th in Stage 1 vs skipper finishing 6th in Stage 1. A knock-out series, first to score 2 points, skipper finishing 7th in Stage 1 vs skipper finishing 8th in Stage 1.
- Stage 3: Semifinals – The highest ranked skipper from Stage 1 can select his opponent when requested by the RC to do so. The remaining two skippers shall race each other. The first team in each match to score three points will advance to the Finals. The remaining two skippers will advance to the Petit Finals.
- Stage 4: Petit-Finals and Finals – The first team in the Petit Finals to score two points will be awarded 3rd place. The first team in the Finals to score three points will be the winner. The remaining team in the Finals will be awarded 2nd place.
Prizes on the Line
- The winner will be named the U.S. Match Racing Champion and the skipper’s name will be engraved on the Prince of Wales Bowl, a perpetual trophy that will be kept on display at US Sailing.
Winning skipper qualifies for the Nations Cup and 2015 Ficker Cup.
- US Sailing Medals will be awarded to teams placing first through third.
The U.S. Match Racing Championship is sponsored by Gill North America, Old Pulteney and Hobie Polarized Sunglasses. This US Sailing National Championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certified event.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or email@example.com.
About Old Pulteney
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky is strongly rooted in the whisky’s nautical heritage and is commonly referred to as ‘The Maritime Malt.’ Old Pulteney is the Official Scotch of US Sailing and recently released a limited-edition ‘Navigator’ expression, commemorating the brand’s sponsorship of the 2013-2014 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Crafted in Pulteney Distillery in Wick, Scotland, the distillery was founded in 1826 by James Henderson in the heart of “Pulteneytown,” one of the largest fishing ports in Europe. Each Old Pulteney expression is carefully crafted and carries the windswept and rugged character of the North and the salty, fresh air of the North Sea. It is distributed by International Beverage, Inc. Visit Old Pulteney on Facebook or at www.oldpulteney.com for more information.
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.