The US Sailing Reach Instructor Trainer Course certifies qualified Reach Educators to run US Sailing Reach (STEM) Educator Courses.
Reach is the National Standard in integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) with the sport of sailing.
This course covers best practices in inquiry-based teaching techniques, learning theory, and how to implement these skills while teaching STEM at Sailing Venues. The Reach program features hand-on, problem-based learning and our instructors must be able to communicate that message effectively while modeling it for participants in their Educator Courses.
Participants are required to plan two mini-module presentations that demonstrate knowledge of the Reach module content, connection to sailing, and the ability to teach using inquiry and problem-based learning. Select and prepare two best module sections; candidates are encouraged to bring any materials needed. Please be familiar with all 17 Reach modules and have specific knowledge of modules 1-10.
Before certification each IT Candidate must co-teach one Reach Educator Course with a currently certified Senior IT and at an approved facility, which are both selected by the Education Department.
Course Objectives /Goals
- For Instructor Trainers to mentor and cultivate other instructors and educators to implement the Reach program.
- To maintain a national standard in STEM and Sailing Education.
- To continue to build regional expertise to increase strategic partnerships and national alignments.
Length of course: 1 day, 8.5 hours
Age requirements for course: Suggested minimum age is 24 years old. Consideration will be given to younger candidates depending upon experience, training and teaching ability.
- Reach Middle School Educator Course Completion
- Current US Sailing Membership
- Minimum 2 years managing and/or teaching Reach programs
- SafeSport Training
- Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals Online
- Current First Aid and CPR.
Course Outcomes: Pass, POI, or Fail.
- Successful completion of the course must include satisfactory evaluations of module presentations, knowledge of Reach module content, mastery of teaching techniques and theory and understanding the relationship of the Reach modules to sailing knowledge and instruction as well as classroom instruction and national education standards. Candidates are required to actively participate in all aspects of the course and maintain a high level of professionalism.
Course fee: $200.00
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Education Department is given enough notice, in writing:
• More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
• Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
• Less than 24 hours' notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
***All courses are subject to cancellation if course minimums are not met within 2 weeks of the course start date.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
Procedures on how to Apply:
Reach Instructor Trainer Applications are accepted at all times. Please note that submission of an application does not constitute acceptance to the course. Applications are reviewed by the IT Candidate Selection Committee once courses are scheduled and those candidates who are selected will be invited to attend. Candidates not selected will be notified in writing. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the posted deadline before the start of the course date.
Candidates may be teachers, partners, collaborators, and/ or sailing instructors.