While initially proposed as the 10th event for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, in December 2020 the IOC advised World Sailing that a further review into the Mixed Offshore event would be undertaken to properly assess key considerations around safety and security of the athletes.
Further updates from the IOC in April 2021 specified that the proposal continued to be reviewed, consistent with the approach taken for other sports, and highlighted challenges for the Mixed Offshore Event existing in the areas of Field of Play security, scope and complexity, broadcast cost and complexity, and World Sailing not having the opportunity to deliver an Offshore World Championship.
As a result of this final IOC assessment, the Mixed Offshore Event was not chosen for the Paris 2024 slate, but the class remains active with many racing opportunities.
The HEMPEL 2021 Offshore World Championship will take place September 15-26, 2021 (more info below). Prospective teams must indicate their interest as soon as possible but no later than midnight Central Time on Thursday, July 15th by filling out a JotForm application at this LINK.
The HEMPEL 2021 Offshore World Championship will take place Sept 15-26, 2021, starting in Brindisi, Italy and ending in Venice, Italy. The event is under the authority of the Italian Sailing Federation in cooperation with the European Sailing Federation (EUROSAF) and World Sailing.
In addition to the World Championship, athletes may also be interested in attending the EUROSAF European Championships (Aug 26-Sept 7). The US may get up to two slots to send competitors for this event. Athletes do not have to apply for the Worlds to be eligible to apply for Europeans. The costs for attending are the same: 950€ per day to cover charter, entry, lodging, ground transport and some meals, but not airfare or damage deposit. Additionally, there are two training periods available for the first 10 competitors that sign up for each: August 18-22 from Canet, France to Genoa (300nm) and Sept 8-12 from Naples to Brindisi (440nm). Both of these are free of charge as training/delivery runs.
As NoR 4.1 states “Entrants to be nominated by their MNA,” US Sailing's International Selection Committee (ISC) has asked Larry Rosenfeld, President of the Offshore Doubles Sailing Association, to form an evaluation group comprised of members with integrity and expertise to rank the applicants and provide a selection recommendation to the ISC.
The full Selection Procedures can be found HERE.
Prospective teams must indicate their interest as soon as possible but no later than midnight Central Time on Thursday, July 15th by filling out a JotForm application at this LINK. On the application, athletes should be prepared to provide the following:
- Name, contact information
- Teammate’s name, contact information
- Sailing resumes for both athletes (especially offshore shorthanded experience and recent training/racing in Offshore Doubles events)
- Safety at Sea & First Aid certifications
For any questions, contact Betsy Alison at US Sailing.
The ISC will announce the selection decision by Monday, July 28th, 2021.
Offshore Yacht Race event organizers should review World Sailing's latest guidance document, updated 8/9/20:
Additionally, World Sailing has a dedicated health section on their website to better support athletes and all sailing event organizers and sailing communities. The purpose is to help the sailing community to follow advice provided by the Medical Commission.
When registering for these events, pay close attention to the NOR, as there may be special safety requirements and procedures in order to successfully train and compete in the Mixed Offshore Doublehanded division.
Resources to satisfy potential safety requirements:
2021 Mixed Offshore Doublehanded Events
Blackline Patos Island Race | Sidney North Saanich Yacht Club, Sidney, BC | April 10-11, 2021
Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race | Newport Beach, CA | April 23, 2021
Protection Island Race | Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, WA | April 24-25, 2021
Race to the Straits | Sloop Tavern Yacht Club, Seattle, WA | May 1-2, 2021
Round Whidbey | Oak Harbor Yacht Club, Oak Harbor, WA | May 15-16, 2021
Block Island Race | May 28, 2021
Bermuda One-Two | June 4, 2021
Annapolis to Newport Race | June 4-5, 2021
PNW Offshore | Corinthian Yacht Club of Portland, Ilwaco, WA | June 10-13, 2021
Sailish 200 | Port Townsend, WA | June 19-20, 2021
Crew of 2 Around Catalina | Dates TBD (July 2021 or Sept 2021)
- Choice to enter either of two races the same day: Traditional 90 mile course from Newport Beach around Catalina Island or 67 mile course from same start/finish but around Ship Rock on the north side of Catalina Island
Transpac 2021 | July 13, 2021
Northern Century | Anacortes Yacht Club, Anacortes, WA | August 20-22, 2021
Annapolis Yacht Club Doublehanded Race | Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis, MD | October 2-3, 2020
For a full list of international events, please click HERE.
Additional information on international events can be found HERE.
- Event Debrief (YouTube video) - 2020 Annapolis Yacht Club Double Handed Distance Race
- Harvard University online course "Backyard Meteorology: The Science of Weather" - Free!
- Modern Race Navigation: Expedition Software in Action by Will Oxley
- Modern Marine Weather: From Time-honored Traditional Knowledge to the Latest Technology by David Burch
- Météo et stratégie: Croisière et course au large by Jean-Yves Bernot (available in French, Italian, and Spanish)
- Squid Sailing Weather Forecasting GRIB Files
- North U: "Expedition 101 Webinar"
- Adrena Navigation Software - Free Demo Version
- Windows only; be sure your computer has enough power to run the software
- Adrena Navigation Online Course (3 hours)
- Get it touch with people who know navigation better that you! There are many navigation experts out there stuck at home who can't wait to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask!
- Online courses to prepare for the exams
- Sea Survival Handbook
- Prepare now for in-person classes as soon as they are available again
- First Aid at Sea (read and study at home to prepare for the in-person practical course)
- On-Board Medical Emergency Handbook: First Aid at Sea by Spike Briggs and Campbell Mackenzie
- Skipper's Medical Emergency Handbook by Spike Briggs and Campbell Mackenzie
- Harken How-To video (small winch but good concepts)
- Harken Tech Team from 2014/2015 Volvo Ocean Race stopover
COVID Planning/Event Organizing
- World Sailing Addendum to Guidance for Event Organizers of Offshore Yacht Races (CVGEO)
- World Sailing's dedicated health section, designed to support athletes, sailing event organizers and sailing communities and help the sailing community to follow advice provided by the Medical Commission.
RORC Caribbean 600 | Antigua Yacht Club | February 22, 2021 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Eleuthera Race | February 17, 2021
Fort Lauderdale to Key West Race | Lauderdale Yacht Club, Fort Lauderdale, FL | January 20-23, 2021
2020 Mixed Offshore Doublehanded Events
64th Wirth M. Munroe Race to Palm Beach | Sailfish Club of Florida, Storm Trysail Club, Biscayne Bay Yacht Club | December, 4, 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Nassau Cup Ocean Race | Nassau Yacht Club | November 12-14, 2020
2020 Mixed Offshore World Championship | Malta | October 10-22 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- As of May 20, 2020, World Sailing cancelled the 2020 Offshore World Championship, due to be held alongside October’s Rolex Middle Sea Race in Valletta, Malta, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Due to the cancellation of the 2020 Offshore World Championship, US Sailing’s Selection Procedures for the event were declared void (as of May 20, 2020).
- In addition, as of June 5, 2020, the 2020 Chicago-Mackinac Race was cancelled as a result of COVID-19. The Chicago-Mackinac Race was originally part of US Sailing's Selection Procedures for the 2020 OffShore World Championships.
Annapolis Yacht Club Doublehanded Race | Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis, MD | October 3-4, 2020
Ida Lewis Distance Race | Ida Lewis Yacht Club, Newport, RI | August 15-16, 2020
2020 New England Solo/Twin | Newport Yacht Club, Newport, RI | July 24, 2020
2020 Around Long Island Regatta | Sea Cliff Yacht Club, Sea Cliff, NY | July 23 - 26, 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac | Chicago, IL | July 18, 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Berringer Bowl | Boston Yacht Club, Boston, MA | July 17-18, 2020
Oakcliff Test Event | Oakcliff Sailing Center, Oyster Bay, NY | July 13-14
2020 Bayview Mackinac Race | Detroit, MI | July 11, 2020
New Bedford Yacht Club Whalers Race | South Dartmouth, MA | June 27, 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Lambert Overnight Ocean Race | Eastern Yacht Club, Marblehead, MA | June 26, 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Atlantic Cup | June 10-21 CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
2020 Hempel World Cup Series Miami | January 22-25, 2020
- Fort Lauderdale to Key West Race
- Equipment: Ocean racing and cruising monohull boats who comply with the requirements of the ORC (Offshore Racing Congress):
- ORC Requirement: Boats must have an offshore long-distance time on time rating factor of 0.880 and lower.
2019 EUROSAF Mixed Offshore European Championship | Venice--Trieste, ITA | October 8-11, 2019
- US Athletes: Peter Becker and Barbara (Basia) Karpinska
- Equipment: L30
2019 Annapolis YC Double Handed Distance Race | September 28-29, 2019
- Equipment: J-105
Oakcliff Double Handed Melges 24 Distance Race | May 14-15, 2019
- Equipment: Melges 24s