First established in 1986, what was then called the U.S. Independence Cup became US Sailing’s national championship for disabled sailors in 1989.
For many years it was organized by the Disabled Sailing Committee and was run in conjunction with the North American Challenge Cup, which is hosted by Chicago Yacht Club.In 2007, the regatta moved under the Championships division of US Sailing and was renamed the U.S. Disabled Sailing Championship.
On December 18, 2017, the U.S. Sailing Board of Directors approved a name change from The U.S. Disabled Championship to the U.S. Para Sailing Championship to keep in line with the World Sailing and the International Olympic Committee format.
Peter Goldman for the Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Foundation donated the Judd Goldman Trophy in honor of Justin “Judd” Goldman in 2008. This trophy is presented annually to the individual competitor that is declared the winner of the singlehanded class of the U.S. Para Sailing Championship.
The trophy is engraved:
This award is dedicated to Justin “Judd” Goldman (1914-1989) who, despite his own physical disability, was an accomplished sailor and inspired the creation of the Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Program, Chicago, Illinois.
To maintain the integrity of the trophy, it will remain on display at the National Governing Body of the sport – U.S. Sailing Association
Previous Award Recipients
- 2021 – Dee Smith 2.4mR- Judd Goldman Trophy and the U.S. Para Sailing Singlehanded National Champion.
- 2019 – Matt Koblenzer: 2.4mR – Judd Goldman Trophy and the U.S. Para Sailing Singlehanded National Champion
- 2018 – Dee Smith: 2.4mR- Judd Goldman Trophy and the U.S. Para Sailing Singlehanded National Champion
- 2016 – Dee Smith
- 2014 – Daniel Evans
- 2013 – John Ruf
- 2012 – Charles Rosenfield
- 2011 – Charles Rosenfield – Woodstock, CT
- 2010 – Bruce Millar – Richmond BC, CAN
- 2009 – Charles Rosenfield- Woodstock, CT
- 2008 – Bruce Millar- Richmond, BC, CAN
- U.S. Independence & North American Challenge Cups
- 2007 – Mark LeBlanc – New Orleans, LA
- 2006 – Roger Cleworth – Lithia, FL
- 2005 – Nick Scandone -Fountain Valley, CA
- 2004 – Nick Scandone -Fountain Valley, CA
- 2003 – Paul Tingley of Vancouver, BC
- 2002 – Roger Cleworth
- 1995 – Robie Pierce, Newport, RI