Hometown: Miami, FL
Education: University of Florida, BSBA in Accounting
1. Why do you want to be a member of US Sailing’s Board of Directors?
To give back for all the great fun and friendships I have gotten because of my involvement in sailboat racing.
2. Explain what do you bring to US Sailing and the Board
50+ years of CFO and forensic accounting experience to assist with the improvement of our organization.
3. How can these organizations and other sailing industries integrate with their local communities to provide more awareness for prospective new sailors?
Find ways to talk at elementary and high schools to show students how much fun all kinds of sailing can be.
4. What can US Sailing do to help facilitate these partnerships?
Reach out to member clubs with ideas on how to help introduce sailing to students.
5. How has US Sailing’s programs and services impacted your overall sailing experience?
Immensely! Could not have had so many good experiences without the organizational structure provided by US Sailing.
6. Is it important for sailors to be members of US Sailing?
Extremely important! Unfortunately, too many owners and crew have no idea how US Sailing has affected their sport and how much it needs their support to continue its mission.
- The first half of his business career was spent in traditional accounting roles as controller or CFO of real estate-oriented companies dealing with construction, community development and, real estate & mortgage brokerage. The second half has been working as a forensic accountant doing litigation support and acting as a court-appointed receiver for a slew of varied entities. He has been on his own, operating under Schoendorf Management Services since 2014 loving the flexibility of being his own boss.
- 7 years as Board Treasurer of the Foundation for Ichthyosis & Related Skin Types, Inc.
- Team Paradise Sailing, Inc. – 5 years as Board Treasurer
- Coconut Grove Sailing Club – 2 terms as Treasurer, 15 years as Board Member, Race Committee Chair
- Florida District Commodore – Lightning Class
- Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce Trustee Chair
Having raced and cruised since I graduated from the University of Florida, I have come to understand how the sailing experience and community can affect both young and old in such positive ways. The opportunity to serve on the US Sailing Board of Directors and be part of something that has so enriched my life is just about as good as it gets. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute to our mission so that others can enjoy the same experience.
Contact John Schoendorf