The US Sailing Reach Initiative has partnered with the America’s Cup Endeavour Program to create an educational student exchange program for sailors. Two US Sailing Reach Initiative students ages 13-18 will be selected to travel to Bermuda on Friday, June 16, 2017 through Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 for a six day STEM/sailing experience of a lifetime. The students will watch the America’s Cup Match, presented by Louis Vuitton on Saturday, June 17th and Sunday, June 18th, the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup Finals on Tuesday, June 20th, explore the Endeavour Education Station in the America’s Cup Village, and visit the National Museum of Bermuda and the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. A reverse experience will be provided in 2018 to the VOLVO Ocean Race Newport Stopover, with two students from the America’s Cup Endeavour Program.
The two students and a chaperone will be hosted by a local sailing family in Bermuda for the duration of their stay. US Sailing’s Reach Initiative will cover flights, passport fees, and four meals. AC Endeavour will provide homestay accommodations with a local Endeavour Program sailing family for the two students and the chaperone. Meals at the America’s Cup village & with youth sailors at the event, as well as education visit costs will be provided by the America’s Cup Endeavour Program. US Sailing staff will be onsite in Bermuda to oversee local travel around the island and facilitate where needed throughout the experience.
• Two student applicants ages 13-18 years old
• One adult chaperone (parent/ guardian/ coach) age 23 and above willing to stay at a local Bermuda homestay and with both applicants through the duration of the trip
• Applicants must have participated in US Sailing’s Reach Initiative at a sailing center or school
• Applicants must have a passion for sailing with an interest in science, technology, and environmental stewardship.
• Parent/ Guardian permission to apply and travel to Bermuda.
• Letter of Recommendation from your Reach Instructor or sailing coach.
• Applications Due Monday, May 15th 2017 by 6pm EDT
• Selection will be announced by Monday, May 22nd 2017
Please include the following in your submission:
- Student 1 Application Form
- Student 1 Letter of Recommendation Form completed by Reach Instructor/ Sailing instructor
- Student 2 Application Form
- Student 2 Letter of Recommendation Form completed by Reach Instructor/ Sailing instructor
- Chaperone Form
If you know someone that may be interested, please pass this email along. Please contact Reach@ussailing.org with any questions.