GROSSE POINTE SHORES, Mich. (August 12, 2014) – The Race Committee did all they could to start racing in each of the five classes on Tuesday. Threatening thunderstorms this morning forced a brief postponement, until an opening appeared in the forecast later in the morning. The eager 156 sailors quickly launched their boats to maximize the sunshine and clearing skies. By approximately 2:00 pm, the forecast outlook predicted thunderstorms and the sailors were called in to shore for the day.
The 29ers completed four races, while the Club 420, International 420, Laser and Laser Radial fleets finished one race. Official Results are pending. The 2014 U.S. Youth Championships resumes on Wednesday with optimism for the best sailing weather of the week.
This year’s list of competitors features the top young women and men up to 19. Sailors are testing their abilities on Lake St. Clair in high-performance racing through Thursday. This year’s championship is hosted by the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club.
Media & Coverage
• For results (pending), standings, video highlights from Chris Love, photos, Twitter updates, and more information on the 2014 U.S. Youth Championships, please visit the event website.
• For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use Twitter hashtag – #USYouthChamps14 – to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
More social media coverage this week from Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan:
— US Sailing (@ussailing) August 12, 2014
Conditions on Course A: overcast, breeze out of the southwest at about 7 knots, light chop. #USYouthChamps14
— USYouthChampsPinBoat (@USYouthChampsRC) August 12, 2014
Schedule & Race Courses
• First race warning for August 12-14 is 11:00 am EDT
• Regatta will be sailed on Lake St. Clair immediately outside the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club Harbor.
• Courses may include windward-leeward, triangle and trapezoid course types.
• Three races are required to be completed to constitute a series.
• When fewer than five races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores.
• When five or more races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score
What’s on the Line?
• US Sailing Championship medals will be awarded.
• The Manton D Scott Memorial Trophy will be awarded to the winning Open Doublehanded Dinghy (C 420) team.
• The Robert L. Johnstone III Trophy will be awarded to the winning Singlehanded–Heavy (Laser Standard) competitor.
• The Robert and Ann Conner Trophy will be awarded to the winning Singlehanded– Light (Laser Radial) competitor.
• The David M. Perry Perpetual Sportsmanship Trophy will be awarded, as well as sportsmanship keepers, in each discipline.
The U.S. Youth Sailing Championships are sponsored by Gill North America, Hobie Polarized Sunglasses, Sperry Top-Sider, and Urban Science. The Championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certification event. Zim Sailing is a charter boat provider for the Club 420 and 29er.
For Immediate Release
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 401.683.0800 x614
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or email@example.com.
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.
About Urban Science
Urban Science is a business-solutions company focused on supporting the needs of the sales and marketing function of the automotive industry. We leverage a scientific methodology to help our client partners sell more vehicles, improve profitability and increase customer loyalty. And we do that by helping solve their toughest challenges including planning an optimal dealership network, improving individual dealer performance, and efficiently converting sales leads into sales. In short, we guide business through science—and we’ve been doing this since 1977. Today we have a team of more than 850 employees throughout 19 global offices. www.urbanscience.com