BRISTOL, RI (September 7, 2022) – With sights set on Paris 2024 & Los Angeles 2028, the US Sailing Team is proud to announce the opening of applications for its new Mixed 470 Program. The Mixed 470 Program is a collaboration between the US Sailing Team’s Olympic Development Program (ODP) and the Windmark Sailing Foundation.
The Mixed 470 class makes its debut at the Paris 2024 Olympics and gives the US the opportunity to channel the strength of American sailing, including collegiate sailing, in which mixed gender teams are the norm. With this concept in mind, the US Sailing Team is confident that an investment in developing Mixed 470 teams will produce success for US athletes. US Sailing seeks to reignite this historically strong Olympic Class with this new initiative.
What is the program?
- The Mixed 470 Program will gather up to 12 talented sailors (six teams) and connect them with boats, coaching, and logistical support in exchange for a commitment to the domestic training and racing schedule (up to and including the Olympic selection process).
- Once the initial application deadline has passed and the squad is formed, there will also be the possibility for later additions to the squad, either through the approval of a plan by submitted by a newly-formed team, or through strong sailing resume. Teams not initially selected may still be invited to ODP training camps.
Where is the application and how will the selection process work?
- The application can be found HERE. The application window will close on September 30, 2022. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of US Sailing Team staff, coaches, and top 470 Olympians. Athletes will be selected by October 10, 2022.
On what criteria will applicants be evaluated?
- Sailing Skill – Competitive regatta results (in any class, sailors from a wide range of sailing backgrounds encouraged to apply)
- Fitness – Athlete is following a fitness program with sustained dedication to becoming an Olympic-level athlete
- Commitment to planned 470 Squad training and racing schedule; responsible and accountable for planning, logistics, e-mail communications; demonstrated goal-setting and systematic improvement
Should applicants apply in pairs or individually?
- Each applicant must apply individually, but should note on the application if they have a proposed partner in mind.
2022-2023 Draft Schedule
- ODP November Camp – November 19-22, 2022 | Miami, FL
- Winter ODP Camp #1 – January (exact dates TBC) | Miami, FL
- Winter ODP Camp #2 – February (exact dates TBC) | Clearwater, FL
- Pre-West Marine US Open Sailing Series-San Diego ODP camp | June 2023 | San Diego, CA
- Pre-West Marine US Open Sailing Series-Long Beach ODP camp | July 2023 | Long Beach, CA
- Pre-West Marine US Open Sailing Series-San Francisco ODP camp | August 2023 | San Francisco, CA
- ODP Multi Class Camp | November 2023 | Miami, FL
- 2023 West Marine US Open Sailing Series-Miami | January 13 – 16, 2023 | Miami, FL
- U23 US Sailing Double Handed National Championship will be awarded to the top U23 Mixed 470 Team at the USOSS-MIA event.
- 2023 West Marine US Open Sailing Series-Clearwater, February 4-6, 2023 | Clearwater, FL
- 2023 West Marine US Open Sailing Series-San Diego | June 2023 | San Diego, CA
- 2023 West Marine US Open Sailing Series-Long Beach | July 2023 | Long Beach, CA
- 2023 West Marine US Open Sailing Series-San Francisco | August 2023 | San Francisco, CA
- 2023 Oakcliff Triple Crown Series | September (Stage 1) & October (Stage 2) | Oyster Bay, NY
- 2023 470 Junior Worlds (U23) | Date TBD | Location TBD
- 2023 Sailing World Championship | The Hague, NED | August 10-20, 2023**
- 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials – Sailing
**Note – Athletes must qualify through the 2023 Sailing World Championship selection process