AL-MUSSANAH, OMAN (December 17, 2021) – The USST’s Olympic Development Program’s 16 athletes wrapped a week of tough wind conditions and even tougher competition against the world’s best youth sailors at the 50th edition of the Youth Sailing World Championships.
Full Results: https://worldsailingywc.org/news/
- Silver Medal, Women’s 29er – Charlie Leigh & Sophie Fisher
- Silver Medal, Women’s 420 – Vanessa Lahrkamp & Katherine McNamara
- Silver Medal, Mixed Nacra 15 – Kay Brunsvold & Cooper Delbridge
- Bronze Medal, Men’s 29er – Ian & Noah Nyenhuis
- 7th, Men’s / Mixed 420 – Thomas Sitzmann & Luke Woodworth
- 7th, Men’s ILCA 6 – Chapman Petersen
- 8th, Men’s Techno 293+ – JP Lattanzi
- 9th, Women’s Formula Kite – Caroline Locke
- 9th, Men’s Formula Kite – Noah Zittrer
- 10th, Women’s ILCA 6 – Katharine Doble
- 16th, Women’s Techno 293+ – Danicka Sailer
“Worlds was difficult at times but it feels great to come away with a medal at our last event in the i420,” said Women’s i420 silver medalist crew Katherine McNamara. “And winning the last race today was a great way to top it off.”
“The most exciting moment this week was our gybe-set around the windward mark yesterday that helped us catch five boats in one leg and win the race,” said Mixed Nacra 15 silver medalist crew, Cooper Delbridge.
“This group of athletes sailed so well this week,” said team leader and 2008 Olympic gold medalist, Anna Tunnicliffe. “Coming away with four medals is a great result. We’ll bring this experience back home to keep raising the level for the rest of the team.”
“These athletes, competing against the best of the rest of the world, show how our ODP is generating the future framework for our Olympic athletes,” said US Olympic Sailing Team Executive Director Paul Cayard. “Four medals, six top-ten finishers and all within the top 20 is an entire team effort. I’m very proud of all of our athletes that represented the USA during their time in Oman.”
“These athletes are a benchmark of work ethic, discipline, and focus,” said Olympic Development Director Leandro Spina. “Their effort is the DNA of our Olympic Development Program.”
Thank you to Quantum Racing for supporting the Olympic Development Program and to AmericaOne for believing in ODP from the beginning and pushing the mission forward.