In 2011, the Helen Hanely Trophy was awarded in honor of Helen Wills Hanley for the winner of the women’s division of the U.S. Singlehanded Championship.
Helen was an active sailor both in the Connecticut and South Carolina areas. She competed in many U.S. Women’s Championships for the Adams Cup in both regions.
After moving to South Carolina in the mid-forties, she started the Wateree Sailing Club and became its first Commodore in 1962. During her time as Commodore, she became active in the South Atlantic Yacht Racing Association (SAYRA) and was an active racer throughout the South Atlantic.
Since her passing in 1978, a donation by her estate in her honor was left to SAYRA that enabled it to begin building a treasure that has grown through the years and enables sailors from SAYRA to compete in the US Sailing national events and training programs sponsored by US Sailing.
To maintain the integrity of the trophy, it will remain on display at the National Governing Body of the sport – U.S. Sailing Association
Previous Award Recipients
Women’s Division – Helen Hanley Trophy
- 2023 – Elaine Parshall – Hartsville, NC
- 2022 Katherine Doble – Pacific Palisades, CA
- 2021 Hallie Schiffman – Sarasota, FL
- 2018 Hanne Weaver – Seattle, WA
- 2017 Hanne Weaver – Seattle, WA
- 2016 Anna Weis – Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 2015 Christine Neville – Middletown, RI
- 2014 Paige Railey – Clearwater, FL
- 2013 Simone Staff – Los Angeles, CA
- 2012 Allie Blecher – Santa Monica, CA
- 2011 Christine Neville – Oakland, CA
- 2010 Leonie Schuurmans – Houston, TX