In response to the Russian government’s invasion of Ukraine, and in alignment with World Sailing policy, US Sailing will exclude sailors from certain countries, and has taken steps to allow organizing authorities and race committees to exclude racing sailors who are citizens of those countries, or who hold a World Sailing ID as a MNA member of one of those countries.
On March 30, 2022, the US Sailing Board of Directors approved the following amendment to the US Sailing Prescription to RRS 76.1 – Exclusion of Boats or Competitors (amended text is in red):
76. EXCLUSION OF BOATS OR COMPETITORS
76.1 The organizing authority or the race committee may reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, subject to rule 76.3, provided it does so before the start of the first race and states the reason for doing so. On request the boat shall promptly be given the reason in writing. The boat may request redress if she considers that the rejection or exclusion is improper.
US Sailing prescribes that an organizing authority or race committee shall not reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor eligible under the notice of race and sailing instructions for an arbitrary or capricious reason or for reason of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or age.
However, an organizing authority or race committee may exclude a competitor who is a citizen of, or holds a World Sailing ID as an MNA member of, a country listed on the US Sailing website at https://www.ussailing.org/exclusion.
Who May Be Excluded:
Citizens of these countries or holders of World Sailing IDs from these MNAs may be excluded under this policy:
- The Republic of Belarus (BLR)
- The Russian Federation (RUS)
Policy Implementation and Changes
1. This policy was approved by the US Sailing Board of Directors on March 30, 2022. Future changes shall also be approved by the Board of Directors.
2. Changes to the policy may include:
A. Addition or deletion of countries or MNAs on the list
B. Expansion, change, or elimination of the policy or the list
3. Exclusion of athletes will generally align with the exclusion policies of World Sailing and the recommendations of the International Olympic Committee and the International Paralympic Committee.
Guidance to Organizing Authorities
1. US Sailing will exclude from competition athletes, officials and coaches who are citizens of countries or holders of World Sailing IDs from MNAs listed above at any event for which US Sailing is the organizing authority.
2. US Sailing will permit the participation of athletes, officials and coaches who:
A. Are dual citizens of the United States and a country listed above
B. Are citizens of the countries listed above and are Permanent Residents of the United States who have made application to become naturalized citizens of the United States
3. Other organizing authorities or race committees may exclude or permit the participation of athletes, officials and coaches from countries or MNAs listed above at their discretion based on their assessment of the situation.
4. US Sailing and other OAs will apply this policy if they become aware that a competitor is a member of an excluded group.
5. A boat whose crew member is excluded under this prescription may request redress per RRS 76.1 if she considers the rejection or exclusion improper.
Organizing authorities and race committees with questions about implementing this policy are encouraged to contact the US Sailing Race Administration office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised April 4, 2022