Hometown: Palo Alto, CA
Education: Yale BS Engineering and Applied Science | Stanford MS Electrical Engineering
Why do you want to be a member of US Sailing’s Board of Directors?
I have received enormous value throughout my life from the sport of sailing. I’d like to give back to our sport where I can.
How have US Sailing’s programs and services impacted your overall sailing experience?
I have been a member of US Sailing since 1970 and have benefited from US Sailing’s programs and services throughout my life. Examples include education, safety training, skilled race officials, skilled jurors, skilled measurers, rating services, US Sailing Championships, and representation of the US at World Sailing.
Is it important for sailors to be members of US Sailing?
It is important for sailors to be members of US Sailing, and to volunteer their time, to support the governing body for our sport. It is similarly important for US Sailing to make it clear that membership is of value to sailors.
- Research Engineer SRI International
- Co-founder of ETAK, the company that pioneered in-vehicle navigation systems
- EVP Technology for News Corporation
- Co-founder of Sportvision, the company that developed augmented reality graphics for sports broadcasts: yellow first-down line for football, K-zone for baseball, Nascar tracking
- Co-founder of SailMail, a non-profit association providing radio communications to sailors on the high seas
- Technical Director for America’s Cup 34, led development of LiveLine graphics and electronic umpiring
- Board member of KVH Inc. a manufacturer of navigation and maritime communication hardware and services
- Council Member of World Sailing
- Chairman of World Sailing Oceanic and Offshore Committee 2014-2020
- Member of World Sailing Oceanic and Offshore Committee since 2004
- Member of the Rules Committee, America’s Cup 36
- Yale Lanphier Award for Research
- Inventor on 30 patents in navigation and graphics
- Three Emmys in TV sports broadcast
- Rolex Yachtsman of the Year
- Member of the US National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Member of the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame
- Member of the US Sailing Hall of Fame
- Varsity Letter in Sailing at Yale, on team with Steve Benjamin, Dave Perry, Peter Isler
- Third Place in 505 Worlds, crew
- Won Volvo Ocean Race as navigator of ABN AMRO ONE, 2005-6
- Set Jules Verne non-stop circumnavigation record as navigator on Groupama3, 48 days.
- Set Transpacific records singlehanded, doublehanded, fully crewed, as navigator
- Set Transatlantic records monohull and multihull, as navigator
- Won overall, line, or class as navigator in Transpac, TransAtlantic, Bermuda, Sydney Hobart, SORC, Admirals Cup, Chicago-Mac, Sardinia Maxi Worlds
I hope that my lifelong experience in sailing from college to 505s to racing around the world, along with experience in technology, and business management can be of use to US Sailing.
I am married to Sally Lindsay Honey, a two-time US Yachtswoman of the Year, who similarly has accumulated a vast debt to our sport.
Contact Stan Honey