Position: Independent Director
Term: 2022 – 2026
Hometown: La Jolla, CA
Education: B.S. Engineering – UCLA; M.B.A. – Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration
- Founder of Tolle Marketing Consultancy
- Biospectal, Advisor
- Autodesk, Sr. Director of Marketing
- Intuit, Vice President of Marketing – Small Business Group
- Board of Directors, League of Women Voters, San Diego
- US Olympic Endowment, Member of the Board of Stewards
- USRowing, Referee
- USRowing, former member of the Board of Directors and former Treasurer
- Norcal Crew, member Board of Directors
- Autodesk: Gartner CRM Excellence Award, Webby Award, Hubspot Memorable Marketing Campaign, Autodesk Marketing Innovation Awards
- Intuit: Annual Best Marketing Team Award, Featured Keynote Speaker at Internet Strategy Forum Summit
- Friends of UCLA Rowing: 2022 Julian Wolf Award for Alumni Excellence
- NCAA Women’s Collegiate Championships: Chief Referee 2016, 2010, 2008
- USRowing: 2016 USRowing Julian Wolf Award for Refereeing Excellence
- World Rowing (FISA): Umpire (1987-2000), NTO Lead 2017 World Championships, 2019 U23 World Championships
My experiences, both professional and with the sport of rowing, lend themselves to success as the Independent Director on the Board.
I have extensive Marketing experience at a variety of companies and gained an appreciation for corporate fundraising at the Computer History Museum. Through my work on the USRowing Board of Directors, I have an understanding of Sports NGB and Non-Profit Financials.
My experience with USRowing is highly applicable to US Sailing as both sports have high capital costs, water safety is paramount, similar revenue and membership, and a focus on DEI programs.
I have some, albeit limited, sailing experience. I received my Small Boat Sailor Certification in 2006 in preparation for sailing with my brother on his Camper & Nicholson 35 in the Caribbean and, currently, off the coast of Southern California.
I believe that sports, both competitive and recreational, bring out the best in those involved. Additionally, I have found that water sports (both in and on the water) can improve not only physical health but also mental well-being. Access, opportunity, and inspiration to partake in the sport of sailing will deliver positive outcomes for all.
Contact Sheila Tolle