RYE, N.Y. (June 17, 2014) – The 41 teams racing at the U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship were welcomed on day one with howling winds on Western Long Island Sound. Teams are racing for the Ida Lewis Trophy in the Club 420 through Friday, June 19. This US Sailing National Championship is hosted by the American Yacht Club.
Four races were completed on Wednesday. The sister tandem of Alie and Liza Toppa (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) excelled in the conditions to take an early 14 point lead (2-4-1-1). Standing in second place is Rebecca McElvain (San Diego, Calif.) and Mercedes McPhee (San Diego, Calif.).
Sailors raced under mostly sunny skies in 80 degree temperatures and choppy seas. Breezes ranged from 11 to 17 knots.
Raegan Medgie was reporting live for the Weather Channel Wednesday morning prior to racing. Watch these videos from Wednesday’s coverage:
Racing and Venue
- The regatta is being sailed in Western Long Island Sound in the vicinity of “bell 42”.
- Spectator boats may be available via sign-up at the AYC.
- First Warning for racing – 11:25 am (subject to change)
- Ten races are scheduled.
- Three races are required to be completed to constitute a series.
- When fewer than six races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores.
- When six or more races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score.
Coverage and Media
- For results, standings, photos and more information on the 2014 U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship, please visit the event website.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use Twitter hashtag – #JrWomensDouble to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
Awards, Trophies and Invitations
- The top two eligible teams not already qualified and finishing in the top 30% of competitors will receive a late invitation to the 2014 U.S. Youth Championships in a doublehanded boat of their choice. Teams must have already applied for the 2014 U.S. Youth Championship by the April 1 deadline to be eligible.
- The winning skipper and crew of the event will be presented the Ida Lewis Trophy (perpetual).
- US Sailing National Championship medals will be awarded to competitors who finish first through fifth.
- The C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Sportsmanship Award will be presented to a team following the results of the competitors’ ballots.
The U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship is supported by the C. Thomas Clagett Jr. Trust and sponsored by Gill North America. Zim Sailing is the official charter boat supplier. This championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certificated event.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or email@example.com.