About the Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification Course
|The US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification Course is designed to provide sailing instructors with information on how to teach more safely, effectively, and creatively. The goal of the program is to produce highly qualified instructors, thereby reducing risk exposure for sailing programs. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.|
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Students under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
Prerequisites for entrance into the course
Below are some of the primary prerequisites for the Level 2 Course. A full list is available during the registration process.
1) Sailing experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multihulls or daysailing keelboats.
2) Current US Sailing Individual, or Family Membership (youth membership is not applicable and only one instructor is allowed per family membership)
3) Experience operating a safety boat. This course is evaluative: Powerboat skills are tested, not taught, during this course.
4) Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without life jacket.
5) National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) Safe Boating certification. Candidates who do not hold a NASBLA approved Safe Boating Certificate will not be allowed to operate a powerboat during the course. Online courses that are not NASBLA approved will not be accepted. BoatUS is one provider of online courses. Click here to see all available Boat US courses. You can also earn your certification at one of US Sailing’s Safe Powerboat Handling Courses or see a current list of approved providers. Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master’s or OUPV license are exempt from this requirement.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Training office is given enough notice, in writing:
• More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
• Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course.
• Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
Register securely online by selecting a course below or by using our Small Boat Level 1 Registration Form. All courses that are currently scheduled are posted on this calendar.