Government Relations Committee
Recent committee news:
- U.S Sailing’s Government Relations Committee (GovRel) met during the organization’s 2018 Leadership Forum in St. Pete Beach, Florida. GovRel Vice President James Muldoon and Asst. Vice President Joanne Dorval, hosted a meeting addressing legislative issues affecting the recreational boating community. Among the topics discussed were: Renewable Fuel Standard, Tax Reform, Carbon Monoxide Laws, California State Boating Education Requirements, US Sailing Tragedies, eLoran/GPS, Engine Cut-off Switches, Aids to Navigation, MOU between Dept. of Interior and Dept. of Agriculture, Fire Extinguisher Recall, DHS GovDelivery, USCG Rescue 21, and Maritime Safety Information Data Pilot Project. For additional information please see the PowerPoint presentation below.
- U.S. Sailing is one of many organizations involved in advancing the 2017-2021 National Boating Recreational Boating Safety Program Strategic Plan. Effective January 1, 2017, The US Coast Guard (USCG) and the National Boating Safety Advisory Council (NBSAC) are implementing the new plan that includes three initiatives: 1) Improve and expand recreational boating education, training, and outreach; 2) Update, leverage, and enforce policies, regulations, and standards; 3) Improve and expand upon recreational boating data collection and research. NBSAC is under new leadership: Captain Scott L. Johnson, Office Chief (CG-BSX); and Mr. Verne Gifford, Division Chief (CG-BSX-2). US Sailing Representative is Mr. Rich Jepsen. US Sailing Representative to the USCG Strategic Plan Subcommittee Initiative #1 is Ms. Joanne Dorval.
- US Sailing’s National On-Water Standards (NOWS) Program initiated a national marketing campaign to promote its recently completed set of national standards, instructional resources now available to recreational boating education providers. The program includes in-field NOWS Self-Assessment training workshops at major conferences where education providers begin self-assessing and updating their courses to comply with the new national standards for skills-based instruction in Power, Human-propelled and Sailboat operation. The workshops will be followed by a Spring on-line national promotional campaign through major recreational boating channels such as Boating Magazine, Cruising and Paddle.com in which the boating public will be encouraged to seek Instruction for Safer Boating from providers whose programs comply with the new skills-based national standards. For more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Government Relations Committee Meeting minutes:
- Govt. Relations Committee Meeting (Jan. 31, 2018)
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Feb. 15, 2017)
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Feb. 3, 2016)
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Oct. 18, 2013)
Government Relations Committee Newsletters:
NOTE: In addition to interested party participation, members of the Regional Sailing Association Committee are included on this committee to facilitate grassroots communication of national legislative issues important to recreational boaters.