Government Relations Committee
- U.S Sailing’s Government Relations Committee (GovRel) met during the organization’s 2017 National Conference in Austin, Texas. GovRel Vice President Mr. James Muldoon and Asst. Vice President Joanne Dorval, hosted a meeting addressing legislative issues affecting the recreational boating community. Among the topics discussed were: Ethanol mandates, Fire Extinguisher Regulations, State Boating Education Requirements, BUI Laws, OUPV Licensing, and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System. For additional information/PowerPoint presentation, click on the 2017 meeting minutes below.
- U.S. Sailing is one of many organizations involved in advancing the 2017-2021 National Boating Recreational Boating Safety Program Strategic Plan. Effective January 1 of this year, The US Coast Guard (USCG) and the National Boating Safety Advisory Council (NBSAC) are implementing the new plan that includes three initiatives: 1) Improve and expand recreational boating education, training, and outreach; 2) Update, leverage, and enforce policies, regulations, and standards; 3) Improve and expand upon recreational boating data collection and research. For additional information/PowerPoint presentation, click on the 2017 meeting minutes below.
- US Sailing continues to serve as the USCG grantee for consensus development of American National Standards (ANS) for entry-level, skills-based recreational boat operation. An independent professional facilitator is guiding a 26-member core team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) representing the broad recreational community in developing POWER, HUMAN PROPELLED, and SAIL, standards. The team is currently using it’s 5-version process to develop national consensus on an Instructional Approach Standard (IAS) that will provide a framework for course designers to use in designing recreational boating instructional programs. A repository of the standards development work can be found at www.onwaterstandards.org
Government Relations Committee Meeting minutes:
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Feb. 15, 2017)
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Feb. 3, 2016)
- Govt. Relations Committee meeting (Oct. 18, 2013)
NOTE: In addition to interested party participation, members of the Regional Sailing Association Committee are included on this committee to facilitate grassroots communication of national legislative issues important to recreational boaters.