Wilmot Sisters Win US Sailing’s First Youth Championship of 2014
RYE, N.Y. (June 20, 2014) – The final day of racing at the U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship shaped up to be an exciting conclusion, as Thursday’s leaders, Lucy and Sally Wilmot (Orinda, Calif.), had a one point lead heading into Friday. The regatta’s most consistent duo pulled away from a competitive field of 41 teams to capture the Ida Lewis Trophy.
This year’s U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship was hosted by the American Yacht Club in Rye, N.Y. for three days of racing in the Club 420. Teams were greeted with sunny skies over Western Long Island Sound and breezes ranged from 9 to 15 knots, mostly out of the Northwest.
Team Wilmot placed second in Race 9 and 10 to seal the win. Placing second overall was Alie and Liza Toppa (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). The Toppas were the overall leaders through Wednesday’s four races. The hottest team over the past two days was Cassie Obel (Marina del Rey, Calif.) and Annika Garrett (Culver City, Calif.). They finished third overall, but won four of the final six races.
Lucy and Sally were exceptionally excited about the win, especially considering it was their first regatta sailing together. “We were able to start working together better and I think it helped a lot that we both had experience as skipper,” said Sally.
The Wilmots plan on competing in San Diego for the Club 420 National Championships and are also looking forward to training in the International 420.
“The camaraderie with the other sailors here is outstanding,” said Lucy. “There were so many volunteers and they took great care of us. It is truly unlike any other event.”
Top 5: Final Standings
1. Lucy Wilmot / Sally Wilmot: 1-[10/rdg*]-2-3-2-5-1-6-2-2- ; 24
2. Alie Toppa / Liza Toppa: 2-4-1-1--3-4-9-3-7- ; 34
3. Cassie Obel / Annika Garrett: 10-9--10-1-1-2-7-1-1- ; 42
4. Rebecca McElvain / Mercedes McPhee: 7-3-5-7-8-6-6--7-10- ; 59
5. Elizabeth Mignon / Amelia Hardy: 11-16-4-2-7--9-3-10-4- ; 66
- For more information on the 2014 U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship, please visit the event website.
- Photo Gallery
- Raegan Medgie was reporting live for the Weather Channel Wednesday morning prior to racing. Watch these videos from Wednesday’s coverage:
Video 1 / Video 2 / Video 3 / Video 4
Awards, Trophies and Invitations
- The winning skipper and crew of the event will be presented the Ida Lewis Trophy (perpetual).
- US Sailing National Championship medals will be awarded to competitors who finish first through fifth.
- The C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Sportsmanship Award was presented to Maddie Gruenky (Delafield, Wisc.).
- The Most Improved Award went to Kerri Luttrell (Irvine, Calif.) and Sammy Pickell (Corona del mar, Calif.)
The U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship is supported by the C. Thomas Clagett Jr. Trust and sponsored by Gill North America. Zim Sailing is the official charter boat supplier. This championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certificated event.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.