US Sailing’s Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year Awards
2017 Rolex Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year Awards
US Sailing accepted nominations for these prestigious awards, widely acknowledged as the foremost individual sailing honors in the nation, through November 30, 2017. Each member of US Sailing was eligible nominate the one male and one female sailor they believe turned in the most outstanding on-the-water performance during the 2017 calendar year.
- Must be a citizen of the United States, eligible to represent the USA under World Sailing regulations, and actually representing the USA at the event(s) for which the nominee is being considered for the award.
- Awards recognize the individual male and female U.S. sailor who has demonstrated on-the-water excellence in the calendar year. In the past, there have been outstanding situations resulting in a skipper and crew nomination being accepted.
- Must have won a major international or national event and/or performed at a high level consistently in multiple events against elite competition.
- There is no minimum age required to win the award.
- The awards are not based on career racing results (lifetime achievements) or contributions to the sport outside of racing.
More About the Awards:
Established in 1961 by US Sailing and sponsored by Rolex Watch, U.S.A. since 1980, the annual presentation of US Sailing’s Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year awards recognize the individual male and female U.S. sailor who has demonstrated on-the-water excellence at international and/or national events to earn their place in the history of the sport.
These prestigious awards are viewed by the sail-racing industry as among the nation’s top sailing distinctions. A slate of nominees, determined by the membership of US Sailing, is presented to a panel of accomplished sailing journalists, who together discuss the merits of each nominee and then vote to determine the ultimate winners.
Coverage from the 2016 Awards
Caleb Paine, Daniela Moroz Named US Sailing’s 2016 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year
PHOTO GALLERY from the Awards Ceremony
Olympic Bronze Medalist Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.) and IKA Formula Kite World Champion Daniela Moroz (Lafayette, Calif.) were selected as US Sailing’s 2016 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year. Learn more about Caleb Paine and Daniela Moroz.
Nominees shortlisted for US Sailing’s 2016 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year award: Star World Champion Augie Diaz (Miami, Fla.); Paralympic Silver Medalists and Para Sailing World Champions Rick Doerr (Clifton, N.J.), Brad Kendell (Tampa, Fla.) and Hugh Freund (South Freeport, Maine); Rolex Farr 40, Maxi 72 and TP52 World Champion Terry Hutchinson (Annapolis, Md.); Melges 20 and J/70 World Champion John Kostecki (San Anselmo, Calif.); Melges 24 World Champions and 470 North American Champions Stu McNay (Providence, R.I.) and Dave Hughes (Miami, Fla.); J/22 World Champion Mike Marshall (Jamestown, R.I.); 505 World Champion Mike Martin (Mill Valley, Calif.); Olympic Bronze Medalist Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.).
Nominees shortlisted for US Sailing’s 2016 Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year award: Etchells Biscayne Bay Series – Sidney Doren Memorial Regatta Champion Shannon Bush (Refugio, Texas); 470 South American Championship Silver Medalists Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.) and Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.); IKA Formula Kite World Champion Daniella Moroz (Lafayette, Calif.); Laser Radial World Championship Silver Medalist Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.), Melges 32 World Champion and College Sailing’s Women’s Singlehanded National Champion Erika Reineke (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.); Melges 20 Winter Series Champion and Women’s International Match Racing Series Finals runner-up Stephanie Roble (East Troy, Wisc.).
- US Sailing Accepting Nominations for 2017 Rolex Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year Awards
- Paine, Moroz Awarded US Sailing’s Rolex Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year for 2016 at New York Yacht Club
- Paine, Moroz Named US Sailing’s 2016 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year
- Best U.S. Sailors of 2016 are Heralded
- US Sailing Accepting Nominations for 2016 Rolex Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year Awards
- Benjamin, Haeger Feted for 2015 Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year at New York Yacht Club
- Benjamin and Haeger Named Best U.S. Sailors in 2015
- Sailing’s Best are Shortlisted for 2015
- US Sailing Accepting Nominations for 2015 Rolex Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year
- Roble, Hutchinson Honored in New York as Best of 2014
- Hutchinson and Roble Named Top U.S. Sailors in 2014
- Sailing’s Best of 2014 Are Shortlisted
- Nominations Being Accepted for Rolex 2014 Yachtsman, Yachtswoman of the Year
- Porter, Starck Honored at US Sailing’s Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year Awards Ceremony for 2013
2016 – Caleb Paine/Daniela Moroz
2015 – Steve Benjamin/Annie Haeger
2014 – Terry Hutchinson/Stephanie Roble
2013 – Brian Porter/Jody Starck
2012 – Johnny Heineken/Jen French
2011 – Bill Hardesty/Anna Tunnicliffe
2010 – Stan Honey/Anna Tunnicliffe
2009 – Bora Gulari/Anna Tunnicliffe
2008 – Terry Hutchinson/Anna Tunnicliffe
2007 – Jeff Linton/Sally Barkow
2006 – Jud Smith/Paige Railey
2005 – Nick Scandone/Sally Barkow
2004 – Paul Foerster & Kevin Burnham/Jody Swanson
2003 – Augie Diaz/Hannah Swett
2002 – John Kostecki/Liz Baylis
2001 – Steve Fossett/Cory Sertl
2000 – Mark Reynolds & Magnus Liljedahl/JJ Isler & Pease Glaser
1999 – Eric Doyle/Dawn Riley
1998 – Paul Cayard /Betsy (Gelenitis) Alison
1997 – Chris Larson/JJ Isler
1996 – Dave Ullman/Courtenay (Becker) Dey
1995 – Ed Baird/Cory Sertl
1994 – Ken Read/Danielle Brennan
1993 – Cam Lewis/Betsy (Gelenitis) Alison
1992 – Kevin Mahaney/Julia Trotman
1991 – Ed Adams/JJ Isler
1990 – Jim Brady/Courtenay Becker
1989 – Larry Klein/Jody Swanson
1988 – John Kostecki/Allison Jolly & Lynne Jewell
1987 – Ed Adams/Susan Dierdorff Taylor
1986 – Dennis Conner/JJ Isler
1985 – Ken Read/Kathy Steele & Heidi Backus
1984 – Bill Buchan/Betsy Gelenitis
1983 – Dave Curtis/Wendy Thomson
1982 – Randy Smyth/Betsy Gelenitis
1981 – Dave Curtis/Betsy Gelenitis
1980 – Dennis Conner/Lynne Jewell
1979 – Ted Turner/Nell Taylor
1978 – Buddy Melges/Bonnie Shore
1977 – Ted Turner/Jan O’Malley
1976 – Lowell North/Allison Jolly
1975 – Dennis Conner/Joan Ellis
1974 – Ted Hood/Sally Lindsay
1973 – Ted Turner/Sally Lindsay
1972 – Buddy Melges/Jane Pegel
1971 – Ding Schoonmaker/Jane Pegel
1970 – Ted Turner/Jan O’Malley
1969 – Robert F. Johnson/Jan O’Malley
1968 – Lowell North/June Methot
1967 – Bus Mosbacher/Betty Foulk
1966 – Bill Cox/Jerie Clark
1965 – Dick Tillman/Timothea (Schneider) Larr
1964 – Bob Bavier/Jane Pegel
1963 – Joe Duplin/Leggie Mertz
1962 – Bus Mosbacher/Sue Sinclair
1961 – Buddy Melges/Timothea Schneider