Executive Committee Minutes
October 20 -24, 2004

7:00pm - P.D.T.

Annual General Meeting

Portland, OR


President Janet Baxter called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. P.D.T.


Executive Committee members present were: Janet Baxter, Dean Brenner, Jim Capron, Ruth Creighton, Don Durant, Bruce Eissner, Fred Hagedorn, Dick Hanneman, Tom Hubbell, Leslie Keller, Rich Jepson, Patty Lawrence, Bill Munster, Joni Palmer, and Bill Ross.   Absent was Paul Callahan.   Also present were Executive Director Nick Craw and Budget Director Hortensia Hacker.


Staff member guests present were:  Gary Bodie, Marlieke Eaton, Katie Richardson, Mary Weaver, Lee Parks, Dan Nolan, Jack Gierhart, and Cynthia Leary-Johnson.


Also present were members of the Executive Director Selection Committee Dave Rosekrans, Chair, Bob Hobbs, and John Ross.


Minutes of the Executive Committee meeting held Sept. 21, 2004, were approved as presented.


Dean Brenner, reporting for the Executive Committee’s Article 14 working party, reviewed proposed changes.   The recommendations will be presented to the Board of Directors.


General Services Chair Ruth Creighton reported on a request that some exceptions be made to the enforcement of Regulations 7.1 and 7.2, which require membership in US SAILING in order to participate in US SAILING championships.  The consensus was that exceptions would not be allowed.  The Committee also considered, but took not action, on requests for staff to conduct certain test programs.  The matter will be considered further in General Services.


The meeting will be continued on Friday, Oct. 21, 7 a.m. in Portland.




President Baxter called the session to order at 7 a.m., PDT at the Benson Hotel, Portland, Oregon.  Dave Rosekrans, who heads the Succession Committee searching for a new Executive Director, reviewed the recommendations of the Succession working party.


Action Item A

Motion was made, seconded and carried to engage the services of Joe Bailey of Russell Reynolds, to conduct an executive search for candidates. 


Fred Hagedorn discussed the nominations for ISAF Sailor of the Year.  A motion was made, seconded and carried to have US SAILING support the nomination of Paul Foerester and Kevin Burnham for the men’s award, and to support the nomination of Sofia Bekatorou and Emelia Tsoufla of the Greek Olympic women’s 470 team for the women’s award


Action Item

A motion to support the recommendation of the Match Race Task Force that US SAILING endorse the application to ISAF for the Santa Maria Cup to be designated as a Grade One event, was made, seconded and carried.


Discussion on proposed match race between the US and Great Britain was deferred pending the receipt of additional information.


President Baxter distributed a list of committee chairs for the coming year.


The session ended at 7:55 a.m. and will continue on Oct. 23 at 7 a.m.





President Baxter reconvened the meeting at 7 a.m. on Saturday, October 23, 2004.


In was agreed to hold ExCom meetings on Monday evenings for the coming year.  Leslie and Dick will work out the schedule and distribute it prior to the next meeting.


Discussion ensued on a proposal for US SAILING to host a forum for all boating organizations in the National Boating Safety Advisory Council, to set safety goals for the Coast Guard, to be approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security.   Past President Muldoon will submit a grant to the Coast Guard in the name of US SAILING.


Action Item: 

A Motion to support this project, which will not involve staff time or cost to the organization, was made, seconded and carried.


President Baxter announced that several new sub-committees would be named in both the Inshore and Offshore committees.


Budget Director Hacker announced that revisions were made to the budget to accommodate succession costs, and the budget is ready to be recommended for approval.


Fred Hagedorn led a discussion on the Joint Marketing Agreements with the USOC.  Amounts coming to US SAILING have been reduced and the restrictions imposed inhibit our ability to seek sponsorships. 


Action item

It was moved, seconded and carried that we challenge the Marketing Department to raise additional funds to enable us to reject the JMA.


Fred also reported that interim accounting figures for the 2004 Olympics have revealed an unexpected shortfall of as much as 180,000 to 200,000.  A careful study is being undertaking to determine the sources of the shortfall.


Tom Hubbell announced that a special session on Reorganization would be held this afternoon following the AGM.


The session ended at 8:55 a.m., and will continue tomorrow at 7 a.m.




President Baxter reconvened the meeting at 7 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 24.


A general discussion was held on the subject of Reorganization. 


Rich Jepsen reported that a dispute had arisen between USSAILING and the Boy Scouts of America over the use of Timmy Larr illustrations that were paid for and used by US SAILING.  Apparently an unauthorized individual gave the BSA permission to use the materials, which we believe are copy written.  Rich Jepsen will investigate and work on a solution, while ED Craw will check out the copyright.


After discussion on the cash shortage discovered in the Olympic finances, which was brought to our attention yesterday, it was agreed that the matter highlighted a material weakness and needed to be brought to the attention of the full BOD at today’s Board meeting.  It was agreed that the matter needed immediate attention so that the Olympic committee could continue its work and so that we could present a viable budget for adoption by the Board.


The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 A.M., Oct. 25, 2004


Dick Hanneman, Secretary