Board of Directors Minutes
October 23, 2004
Annual General Meeting in Portland, OR

President Janet Baxter called the meeting to order at 8:00 a.m., Pacific Daylight Time.


Directors present were:  James Appel, Janet Baxter, Betsy Beddow, Faye Bennet, Stan Betts, Jerelyn Biehl, Terry Bischoff, Dean Brenner, Norton Brooker, Craig Brown, Jim Capron, Clark Chapin, Ruth Creighton, Means Davis, Dan Doyle, Don Durant, Bruce Eissner, Susan Epstein, Art Fox, Fred Hagedorn, Dick Hanneman, Joey Harris, Tom Hubbell, Charles Ivey, Rich Jepsen, Leslie Keller, Hart Kelley, Patty Lawrence, Dan Mangus, Gene McCarthy, Joe Melino, Clay Mock, Ken Morrison, Bill Munster, Greg Norwine, Joni Palmer,  Mark Reynolds, Bill Ross, John Rudy, Betty Sue Sherman, and Bill Stump. Absent were:  John Amos, Mitch Brindley, Larry Bulman, Paul Callahan, Tom Carruthers, Peter Durant, Louise Gleason, John Osmond, Martha Parker, and Adam Werblow.


Action Items A Motion to approve Thursday, Oct. 21, 2004 and Friday, October 22, 2004 Minutes of the Board of Directors was made, seconded and carried.


A Motion to ratify the actions of the Executive Committee made since the last meeting of the Board of Directors in March, 2004 Mobile, AL, was made, seconded and carried.


Vice President Tom Hubble reported that a new revision of the proposed restructuring is completed and a line by line discussion of each item will take place in a special meeting beginning at 2:30 p.m. today.


Committee and Council Reports. Complete reports and minutes will be available on the Web sites:


Past President Dave Irish reported on items that will be discussed at the coming meeting of the International Sailing Federation


Susan Epstein, Women’s Sailing Committee, announced that an additional ISAF Grade Two match racing event is being added.   Charlie Arms is the new Committee chair.


Joni Palmer and Patty Lawrence reported on the One Design Symposium scheduled for Nov. 13-14 in Newport. 


Jim Capron, Race Administration chair, repeated a request for nominees for the new Harman Hawkins Trophy, which will be awarded at the Spring 2005 meeting in Newport.


Dick Rose reported that the new RRS, 2005-2008, had been distributed and that the first Seminar on rules changes will be held on March 31, prior to the Spring meeting in Newport.


Appeals Chair Tom Farquhar reminded the Board that new appeals procedures are in place and that all appeals should be sent to US SAILING where they will be redistributed to the appropriate association appeals committee. 


 As chair of Race Management, he also reported that there are 660 currently certified race officers and that the committee has certified four new Regional and one new National Race Officer.  More than 50 Race Management seminars are held annually, and an advanced seminar has been conducted in every Area.


Charles Ivey announced that the Windsurfing Council supports the recommendation of the ISAF Board Sailing Evaluation Panel for the selection of a new board.


Sailor Athlete Council chair Dean Brenner announced the election of new Council officers and board members.  Minutes are on the SAC website.


Past President Dave Rosekrans reported that all nominations had been posted on the web site as required in the Bylaws.  Elections will be held this afternoon at the Annual General Meeting,


Reporting for the Government Relations Committee, Past President Jim Muldoon said that although there is still pressure for the mandatory use of Personal Floatation Devices,  voluntary use by sailors in the past 5 years has increased from 25-47% in daysailors and 7-14% in cabin boats.  The committee will participate in an upcoming national forum on safety goals convened by the Coast Guard.


Youth Representative James Appel reported on Youth Racing Advisory Board recommendations to ISAF, sites for 2006 qualifiers and championship locations through 2008.  The information is on the Youth website.


Tom Carruthers reported that the Commercial Sailing Committee, through the Keelboat Training Programs, has added 2017 new members to US SAILING and three new schools to the program.


Ruth Creighton, General Services Committee chair, reported on membership activities, including efforts to increase sponsorship and increase Golden Anchor participation.


Reporting for the Committee on Sailors with Special Needs, Hugh Elliot noted that US SAILING continues to be a leader among National Governing Bodies in integrating athletes with disabilities, and thanked outgoing Olympic chair Fred Hagedorn for his efforts.


Chris Clements reported for the Interscholastic Sailing Association and noted that high school sailing continues to increase at a rate of 15% annually. 


Past President Bob Hobbs, reporting for the Olympic Transition Committee, announced that the initial OSC executive committee will include:  Dean Brenner, Louise Gleason, Serge Jorgensen, Gary Jobson and Jim Tichenor, in addition to the head coach and team leader.  Hal Haenel will continue to represent US SAILING to the USOC.


Audit Chair Joel Melino reported that for the first time in several years, no corrective actions were recommended by the auditors, who have issued a clean report. 


Action Item:  A motion that the Board of Directors of US SAILING accept the Audited Financial Statements and the Auditors Management Letter for the year ending Dec. 31, 2003, was made, seconded and carried.


A report was made made for the Community Sailing Council.


Cruising Sailors Council chair announced plans to create a new Cruising Sailor website.


President Baxter noted the presence of several current and past Olympic sailors present at the meeting.


The meeting was adjourned at 9:08 a.m., and immediately followed by a meeting of the United States Sailing Foundation Directors.



Dick Hanneman, Secretary


Next Meeting, Sunday October 24, 2004 at 8:00 a.m.