The mission of the US Sailing Diversity and Inclusion Committee is to to promote and support inclusivity within the sailing community in the United States. We recognize diversity as essential to achieving our mission. For us, diversity refers to the differences of culture, ethnicity, race, gender, age, beliefs, religion, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, family status, physical ability, appearance and ideas. We are committed to achieving greater diversity throughout the sport and fostering an environment that is more inclusive to all sailors.
To help us achieve our mission, we seek to identify individuals and organizations that provide best practices and access to sailing for all. These are organizations that align with the standards set forth by US Sailing and offer safety, fun and learning through programming.
This committee will work with the US Sailing Board of Directors to create and support initiatives that will help to promote access to the sport of sailing and increase participation by encouraging local sailing organizations to provide an inviting inclusive environment in which to sail. If you are interested in being involved with the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, or if you have general questions or comments, please contact DEI@ussailing.org
The US Sailing Community Sailing Committee has adopted this statement as one of the cornerstones of their mission.
We, the US Sailing Community Sailing Committee, recognize diversity as essential to achieving our mission, “to promote and support community sailing in the United States.” For us, diversity refers to the differences of culture, ethnicity, race, gender, age, beliefs, religion, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, family status, physical ability, appearance and ideas.
We are committed to achieving greater diversity throughout the sport and fostering an environment that is more inclusive.
Diversity makes good development sense, is critical to achieving the mission of the organization, and is an integral part of the success of the US Sailing Community Sailing Committee’s other strategic initiatives. It is our goal to expand the image of sailing to one that invites and supports the involvement of all.
Great organizations are characterized by a passion for excellence and the foresight to anticipate opportunities to further their mission. To realize our mission, we believe we must:
• Establish diversity as a key strategic priority in all facets of sailing.
• Encourage national, regional and local sailing organizations to adopt diversity as a priority.
• Expect that every leader will include diversity objectives in his or her performance appraisal and business-planning process.
• Build a culture that respects, values, and celebrates diversity.
• Serve as a model organization for all others that aspire to an inclusive environment.
To implement this statement, we propose the following as the preliminary areas of focus:
• Increasing awareness in the organization of the importance of diversity.
• Recruiting and hiring greater diversity into our sport.
• Providing mentoring, development, education, and training.
• Demonstrating behaviors that are aligned with the philosophy.
• Developing strategic partnerships and relationships that will complement our efforts to achieve greater diversity throughout all areas of sailing.