Nora Brugman was born and raised in Barcelona, Spain and has been sailing since the age of 4. She has competed internationally in Optimist, 420’s, 470’s and 49erFX. Early in her career, she was 420 Spanish National Champion and qualified for the youth national team to sail in multiple World Championships, and European Championships. At the ISAF Youth World Championships in 2009, she finished 6th overall in the 420.
Brugman graduated from the Universitat of Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona in 2016. There, she majored in Advertising and Marketing. After graduating, she decided to combine her studies with Olympic class racing and launched a full-time campaign for the 2016 Rio Games. Initially, she began her campaign in the 49erFX class but then opted to train in the 470 class.
After missing out on selection to the Rio games, Brugman moved to the United States. Since then, she has been sharing her expertise with youth sailor son both coasts. During the 2016-2017 season, Brugman was the head coach of the Optimist, High School, and 420 teams at the Peninsula Youth Sailing Foundation (Redwood City, Calif.). She has also spent multiple summers training and coaching the 420 Racing Team at Shelter Island Yacht Club (Shelter Island Heights, N.Y.).
After getting a glimpse of Olympic sailing in the 2016 quadrennium, Nora was sure she wanted to campaign for the Tokyo 2020 games. This time, she decided to join forces with her sister, Atlantic Brugman, in the 470 class. In early 2019, the Brugmans were named to the US Sailing Team, for the first time.
- 8th, 470, Hempel World Cup Series Miami (Miami, USA), 2019
- 3rd, 470, USA 470 National Championship (Oyster Bay, USA), 2018
- 1st, 470, Oakcliff Sailing Triple Crown #3 (Oyster Bay, USA), 2017
- 8th, 470, SWC Series (Miami, USA), 2017
Expanded Sailing Resume:
- 17th, 470, Hempel World Cup Series Genoa (Genoa, ITA), 2019
- 9th, 470, North American Championships (Miami, USA), 2019
- 38th, 470, Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018 (Aarhus, DEN), 2018
- 16th, 470, 2018 World Cup Series Final (Marseille, FRA), 2018
- 22nd, 470, 2018 World Cup Series (Hyeres, FRA), 2018
- 24th, 470, 2018 World Cup Series (Miami, USA), 2018
- 17th, 470, 470 North American Championship (Miami, USA), 2018
- 29th, 470, Sailing World Cup Hyeres (Hyeres, FRA), 2016
- 30th, 470, 470 European Championship (Mallorca, ESP), 2016
- 25th, 470, 470 World Championship (San Isidro, ARG), 2016
- 20th, 470, 470 South American Championship (San Isidro, ARG), 2016
- 11th, 470, Sailing World Cup Miami (Miami, USA), 2016
- 6th, 470, Christmas Race Palamos (Palamos, ESP), 2016
- 27th, 470, 470 World Championship (Hafia, ISR), 2015
- 29th, 470, Open 470 European Championships (Aarhus, DEN), 2015
- 23rd, 470, Delta Lloyd Regatta (Medemblik, NED), 2015
- 7th, 470, Garda And Trentino Olympic Week (Riva del Garda, ITA), 2015
- 10th, 470, Open National Regatta 470 (Riva del Garda, ITA), 2015
- 9th, 470, Christmas Race Palamós (Palamos, ESP), 2014
- 6th, 470, Semana Olimpica Canaria De Vela (Las Pamlas de Gran Canaria, ESP), 2014