Luke Muller grew up surfing and windsurfing the waters of Florida’s east coast. When his older sister, Meredith, started a high school sailing team, the family became hooked on boats, and Muller sailed his first Optimist dinghy at the US Sailing Center of Martin County. He quickly made the progression from recreational sailor to competitive racer. Within a few years, he was hooked on the idea of representing the United States on an international stage. After growing out of the Opti, Muller turned to the Laser to improve his fitness and racing skills. Before long, he held the titles of Laser National Champion and Youth Worlds Representative.
Just before his first year attending Stanford University, Muller opted to switch to the Finn class. While juggling his studies with sailing, he rose through the Finn ranks. Eventually, he was presented with the opportunity to train with current teammate, Caleb Paine, and coach Luther Carpenter. Muller gladly accepted and took a leave of absence from Stanford to devote his full attention to his Olympic aspirations.
Muller has since committed himself to a full-time campaign of his own, working towards selection for Tokyo 2020.
- Stanford Sailing Team Captain (2016/17)
- ISAF Youth World Team Member (2014)
- 3rd, Finn, Hempel World Cup Series Miami (Miami, USA), 2019
- 1st overall and line honors, TP52 (Spookie), Miami to Havana Race, set course record – 17.3 hrs., 2018
- 1st overall and line honors, TP52 (Spookie), Ida Lewis Distance Race (Newport, RI), 2018
- 4th, Finn, SWC Series – Round 1, Miami (Miami, USA), 2017
- 1st, Laser Radial, US Youth Championships (Corpus Christi, USA, 2013
- 1st, Laser, National Championships (Santa Cruz, USA), 2013
Expanded Sailing Resume:
- 15th, Finn, 2019 World Cup Series – Round 1, Enoshima (Enoshima, JPN), 2018
- 18th, Finn, Kiel Week (Kiel-Shilksee, GER), 2018
- 13th, Finn, Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Sofia Regatta (Palma de Mallorca, ESP), 2018
- 19th, Finn, 2018 World Cup Series – Round 2, Miami (Miami, USA), 2018
- 9th, Finn, Kiel Week (Kiel-Schilksee, GER), 2017
- 14th, Finn, Sailing World Cup Miami (Miami, USA), 2016
- 3rd, Flying Phantom, Red Bull Foiling Generation-US Qualifier (Newport, USA), 2016
- 2nd, Laser Radial, Laser Midwinter’s East (Clearwater, USA), 2014
3rd, Laser Radial, North American’s (Long Beach, USA), 2014
4th, Laser, US Laser Nationals (San Francisco, USA), 2014
2nd, Laser, ICSA Singlehanded Nationals (Bellingham, USA), 2014