After growing out of prams, David Liebenberg was not sure where to go in sailing. After the first ride on a 29er, Liebenberg was hooked. His affinity for speed shaped the rest of his sailing career. Four years after that first ride, David had collected a top-ten finish at the World Championships, three National Championship titles, and three North American Championship titles.
On the Tufts University Sailing Team, Liebenberg honed his starting skills and short course tactics. He was a captain of the Tufts team his senior year and led the team to their first Collegiate Match Racing National Championship in 2012. In the summer of 2013, he was the tactician of the American Youth Sailing Force, which was selected to represent San Francisco in the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup.
Calling tactics at that event was excellent preparation for an Olympic campaign. The emphasis of short course racing at extremely high speeds allowed him to hone his boat handling and tactical decision making. During the 2016 quadrennium, Liebenberg performed impressively in the Men’s 49er class, though unfortunately did not qualify for the Games in Rio.
Now, Liebenberg has his sights focused on representing Team USA in the Nacra 17 class at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. Liebenberg has joined forces with Sarah Newberry, another speed-fiend. The two have shown their ability to make it to the top of the fleet and are worthy candidates for selection to the 2020 Games.
- 10th, Nacra 17, Hempel World Cup Series Miami (Miami, USA), 2019
- 1st, Nacra 17, Oakcliff Sailing Triple Crown #3 (Oyster Bay, USA), 2018
- 10th, Nacra 17, Medemblik Regatta (Medemblik, NED), 2018
- 10th, 49er, SWC Series Miami (Miami, USA), 2017
- 2nd, 49er, Cork Olympic Classes Regatta (Kingston, CAN), 2016
Expanded Sailing Resume:
- 23rd, Nacra 17, Hempel World Cup Series Genoa (Genoa, ITA), 2019
- 35th, Nacra 17, 50th Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Sofia Regatta (Palma de Mallorca, ESP), 2019
- 13th, Nacra 17, Miami Skiff Mid-Winter Regatta (Miami, USA), 2019
- 24th, Nacra 17, Hempel Sailing World Championship Aarhus 2018 (Aarhus, DEN), 2018
- 34th, Nacra 17, European Championship (Gdynia, POL), 2018
- 18th, Nacra 17, Kiel Week (Kiel-Schilksee, GER), 2018
- 11th, Nacra 17, 2018 World Cup Series Miami (Miami, USA), 2018
- 11th, 49er, Sail Sydney (Woollahra, AUS), 2017
- 17th, 49er, 2018 World Cup Series Gamagori (Kaiyoh Yacht Harbor, JPN), 2017
- 39th, 49er, 49er & 49erFX World Championships (Clearwater, USA), 2016
- 32nd, 49er, Sailing World Cup Miami (Miami, USA), 2016
- 40th, 49er, 49er & 49erFX World Championships (Buenos Aires, ARG), 2015
- 39th, 49er, 49er & 49erFX South American Championships (Buenos Aires, ARG), 2015
- 43rd, 49er, 49er & 49erFX European Championship (Porto, PRT), 2015
- 38th, 49er, ISAF Sailing World Cup Weymouth & Portland (Weymouth & Portland, GBR), 2015
- 28th, 49er, Delta Lloyd Regatta (Medemblik, NED), 2015
- 16th, 49er, Garda and Trentino Olympic Week (Riva del Garda, ITA), 2015
- 25th, 49er, 49er & 49erFX North American Championships (Clearwater, USA), 2015
- 14th, 49er, ISAF Sailing World Cup Miami (Miami, USA), 2015
- 23rd, 49er, 49er & 49erFX Mid-Winter Regatta (Miami, USA), 2015
- 25th, 49er, 49er & 49erFX North American Championships (Miami, USA), 2015