Corona del Mar, Calif. (June 16, 2015) – The launch of the 2015 US Sailing National Championship season will be sparked this week by the U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship for the Rose Cup, hosted by Balboa Yacht Club in Corona del Mar, Calif. on Friday, June 19 through Sunday, June 21.
The Rose Cup, founded by members of the Balboa Yacht Club and the Newport-Balboa Sailing & Seamanship Association (NBSSA), started as an invitational youth match race event in 2010. The mission is to promote youth match racing in the U.S. and improve the skills of competitors in national and international competition from around the country.
US Sailing is proud to be the organizing authority of this new US Sailing National Championship. In 2014, the event founders and the Rose Cup Committee, under the direction of US Sailing Match Racing Committee Chair and four-time U.S. Match Racing Champion Dave Perry, successfully elevated the Rose Cup to an official US Sailing National Championship.
“We could not be more excited to finally have a true youth match racing national championship in the U.S.,” said Perry. “It will be quite an honor for the team who wins. Match racing is an exciting discipline in our sport, and we want to encourage the 16 to 20 year old group to get involved and be proficient at match racing, as this is an excellent bridge to higher levels of sailing.”
The U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship is an invitational event based on requests for invitation from qualified skippers. The event will be sailed in the Governor’s Cup 21 sailboat, with teams of three or four sailors (maximum crew weight of 578 pounds) who must be at least 16 and no older than 20 years old in 2015.
Coaching and instruction will play a major role in these sailors’ experience this week in Corona del Mar. Competing sailors will take part in a North U Advanced Match Racing Clinic led by Dave Perry on Thursday, June 18.
Media & Coverage
- For results, standings, video highlights from Chris Love, photos, Twitter updates, and more information from the 2015 U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship, please visit the event website.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use hashtag – #RoseCup15 – to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
What’s on the line?
- The top three skippers will receive an automatic invitation to the 49th annual Governor’s Cup to be held at Balboa Yacht Club on July 20-25, 2015.
- The top finishing skipper will qualify for the Oakcliff Sailing (NY) Halloween Invitational in Match 40s on October 30 to November 1, 2015.
- Wednesday & Thursday, June 17-18: Registration, weigh-in, practice with coaching
- Thursday, June 18: North U Advanced Match Racing Clinic, Opening Ceremony
- Friday, June 19 to Sunday, June 21: First Signal for racing scheduled for 11:00 am PDT.
Racing Format and Venue
- The venue will be the Pacific Ocean off Newport Beach, California.
- The course will be windward/leeward with starboard roundings, downwind finish, and a gate for the leeward roundings.
- Stage 1: Round Robin
- Stage 2: Quarterfinals/Semifinals/Final Knockout Series and Consolation Races
- The Rose Cup is the perpetual trophy presented to the winning team.
- US Sailing medals will be awarded to the competitors who finish first through third.
- The Nick Scandone Sportsmanship Award is the perpetual trophy presented for good sportsmanship.
- Last year’s champions will return to defend the Rose Cup – Christophe Killian (Newport Beach, Calif.), Harrison Vandervort (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Jack Martin (Newport Beach, Calif.)
- List of Teams (subject to change)
The U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship is sponsored by US Sailing national sponsors Gill North America and Switlik. This championship is supported locally by sponsors Newport-Balboa Sailing & Seamanship Association, North U, Harken, Maritime Sciences & Seamanship Foundation, Cannon Building, Hemphill’s Rugs & Carpets, Island Marine Fuel and William’s Electric.
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or email@example.com.
Established in 1920, Switlik Parachute Co. has been owned and operated by the Switlik family for four generations and is known worldwide as a manufacturer of the highest quality sewn and heat sealed inflatable safety and survival products for the aviation, marine, and military/government markets. Our capabilities include a wide variety of anti-exposure and anti-g suits, inflatable life rafts, inflatable life vests, inflation systems and other specialty textile-based military equipment all manufactured at our 85,000 sq. ft facility located in Trenton, NJ USA. www.switlik.com