FORT WORTH, Texas (June 14, 2017) – The thrill and excitement of match racing will be on full display this Father’s Day Weekend in the Lone Star State as the 2017 U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship for the Rose Cup will be hosted by the Fort Worth Boat Club for three days of racing on Eagle Mountain Lake. Racing begins at this US Sailing National Championship on Friday, June 16 and concludes Sunday, June 18.
In its brief, yet impactful history on the match racing circuit this invitational event for 16 to 20 year olds has served as an outstanding training ground for young sailors who are passionate about match racing and focused on competing at the next level.
Ten teams of four, consisting of at least one female crew per boat, will be racing the J/22. Coaching and instruction will play a major role in these sailors’ experience this week in Fort Worth. Five-time U.S. Match Racing Champion, Dave Perry, will lead a North U Advanced Match Racing Clinic on Wednesday and Thursday, June 14 and 15.
“I’m really excited to work with the 40 sailors competing this week at the U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship,” said Perry. “They are the best youth match racers in the country and will soon be competing at the college level and for the U.S. Match Racing Championship.”
Originally known as the Rose Cup, this event was founded by members of the Balboa Yacht Club and the Newport-Balboa Sailing & Seamanship Association (NBSSA), and was started as an invitational youth match race event in 2010. The mission is to promote youth match racing in the U.S. and improve the skills of racers from around the country in national and international competition. In 2015, US Sailing elevated the Rose Cup to an official US Sailing National Championship.
This regatta is the first of two US Sailing National Championships in the match racing discipline this year. Oakcliff Sailing will host the U.S. Match Racing Championship in October.
Media & Coverage
- For results and standings, list of competitors, Twitter updates, photos and more information from the 2017 U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship, please visit the event website.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter at #RoseCup17 to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
What’s on the line?
- The top finishing skipper will receive an invitation to the 2017 Governor’s Cup on July 17-22 at the Balboa Yacht Club in Corona del Mar, Calif.
- The top finishing skipper will qualify for the 2017 Oakcliff Halloween Invitational on October 28-29 at Oakcliff Sailing in Oyster Bay, N.Y.
- Stage 1: Round Robin
- Stage 2: Quarterfinal, Semifinal, Final knockout Series and consolation races (subject to change)
- The Rose Cup is the perpetual trophy presented to the winning team.
- US Sailing medals will be awarded.
- The Nick Scandone Sportsmanship Award is the perpetual trophy presented for sportsmanship.
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.