Sailors Compete for a Spot on Youth World Team
CORONADO, Calif. (August 4, 2016) – As our country turns its attention to Rio in support of our talented women and men sailors representing Team USA at the Olympic Games, an impressive collection of young sailors, with Olympic dreams and aspirations of their own, will embark on a tremendous challenge beginning this weekend in Coronado, Calif. at the 2016 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships. The pinnacle event for youth sailors under 20 is hosted by Coronado Yacht Club with support from the San Diego Yacht Club.
Like all US Sailing Junior Championships, there is much more to this event than racing. This regatta is run by a team of top judges, coaches and race officers that provide high quality racing and support. Since the genesis of this championship in 1973, this event has served as a motivational force for young sailors to enjoy sailing for a lifetime, while making strong friendships along the way. U.S. Youth Championship graduates have become the stalwarts of successful college sailing programs and routinely fill out the ranks of All-Americans. Many former and current US Sailing Team Sperry and Development Team members have competed at this championship. The event continues to align with the U.S. Olympic Sailing Program and youth high performance sailing.
Sailors representing five classes will race on South San Diego Bay over four days, beginning Saturday, August 6 through Tuesday, August 9. Many of this week’s winners will qualify for the US Sailing Youth World Team and compete at the 2016 Youth Sailing World Championships in Auckland, New Zealand on December 14-20.
- *Laser Radials (singlehanded dinghy)
- *International 420 (doublehanded dinghy)
- *29er (skiff)
- Laser (singlehanded dinghy)
- Techno 293 (boys and girls windsurfer)
* The Laser Radial, International 420, and 29er will be vying for a spot on the Youth World Team.
US Sailing Coaches
- Richard Feeny (US Sailing Junior National Coach) – 29er
- Jon Rogers (Head Coach at Coronado Yacht Club) – International 420
- Phil Muller (Professional Sailing Coach) – Techno 293
- Mike Pinckney (Head Coach at Balboa Yacht Club) – Laser
- Charles Higgins (Assistant Coach at Old Dominion University) – Radial
- Morgan Wilson (Assistant Coach at SUNY Maritime Academy) – Radial
Coverage & Media
- For Twitter updates from the racecourse, video highlights (posted Wednesday, August 10), results and standings, photo gallery and more information from the 2016 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships, please visit the event website.
- Follow on Twitter and Instagram – #youthchamps16
- Invitations to the event are made by US Sailing’s Youth Championship Selection Committee, based on review of applicant’s entry forms.
- The U.S. Youth Sailing Championships started in 1973.
- The Manton D. Scott Memorial Trophy will be awarded to the winning doublehanded dinghy (I420) team.
- The Robert L. Johnstone III Trophy will be awarded to the winning open singlehanded (Laser Standard) competitor.
- The Robert and Ann Conner Trophy will be awarded to the winning singlehanded (Laser Radial) competitor.
- The Major Hall Trophy will be awarded to the winning windsurfing competitor.
- The David M. Perry Perpetual Sportsmanship Trophy will be awarded, as well as sportsmanship keepers, in each class.
- US Sailing Championship medals may be awarded to competitors who finish first through fifth overall in classes greater than 25 and first through third overall in classes greater than ten. In classes with ten or less, first and second will be awarded.
The 2016 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships is sponsored by Gill North America, Sperry, Hobie Sunglasses and Switlik. This US Sailing National Championships is a Sailors for the Sea certified Clean Regatta.
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, email@example.com
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
Sperry was founded in 1935 by avid sailor, inventor and intrepid explorer Paul Sperry. From the invention of the world’s first boat shoe to a full collection of sea-tested lifestyle products, Sperry equips all those who believe the best stories are written with their feet. Proud sponsor of the United States Sailing Team and numerous world-class regattas, Sperry is distributed around the world at independent and department stores in North America, Asia, Europe and Latin America, Sperry specialty retail stores and at Sperry.com. Sperry® is a division of Wolverine World Wide, Inc. one of the world’s leading marketers of branded casual, active lifestyle, work, outdoor sport, athletic, children’s and uniform footwear and apparel. The Company’s portfolio of highly recognized brands also includes: Merrell®, Hush Puppies®, Saucony®, Wolverine®, Keds®, Stride Rite®, Sebago®, Cushe®, Chaco®, Bates®, HYTEST®, and Soft Style®. The Company also is the global footwear licensee of the popular brands Cat® and Harley-Davidson®. The Company’s products are carried by leading retailers in the U.S. and globally in approximately 200 countries and territories. For additional information, please visit our website, www.wolverineworldwide.com.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.
Established in 1920, Switlik Parachute Co. has been owned and operated by the Switlik family for four generations and is known worldwide as a manufacturer of the highest quality sewn and heat sealed inflatable safety and survival products for the aviation, marine, and military/government markets. Our capabilities include a wide variety of anti-exposure and anti-g suits, inflatable life rafts, inflatable life vests, inflation systems and other specialty textile-based military equipment all manufactured at our 85,000 sq. ft facility located in Trenton, NJ USA. www.switlik.com