Bristol, R.I. (July 9, 2015) – Thursday marked the second half of the 2015 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships and represented a prime opportunity for contenders to make a run to the top of the standings and for leaders to extend their advantage on their respective fleets.
Another day with light breeze made it difficult for sailors to make up ground on the division leaders. This morning sailors raced in breezes ranging from 6 to 8 knots on Mount Hope Bay and Narragansett Bay. However, the wind disappeared for most of the afternoon adding more urgency to Friday’s final set of races. The International 420, Laser Radial, 29er, and Formula 16 fleets finished two races Thursday, while the Laser Radials tallied three.
Friday’s racing will take place between 10 am and 12 pm, followed by the prize giving awards ceremony.
I-420 – Top 5
1. Will Logue/Bram Brakman, Riverside YC, Coral Reef YC / LISOT, 1--2-1-1-1-3- ; 9
2. Wiley Rogers/Jack Parkin, Texas Corinthian YC, 2-1-1-2--3-2- ; 11
3. Ivan Shestopalov/Pierce Ornstein, Coral Reef YC, -6-9-5-3-12-1- ; 36
4. Eli Burnes/Henry Burnes, Wianno YC/Lisot, 9-7-3-9-2--14- ; 44T
5. Alex Abate/Marcus Abate, Lakewood YC, 16--4-7-5-5-7- ; 44T
Radial – Top 5
1. Henry Marshall, 3-3-1-1-1-1-- ; 10
2. Nic Baird, St. Petersburg YC, 7-1-2-6-5-3-- ; 24
3. Scott Rasmussen, Lauderdale YC, 1-4-7--6-2-14- ; 34
4. Leo Boucher, Severn Sailing Association, -10-8-3-11-9-6- ; 47
5. Christina Sakellaris, Sail Newport/Lauderdale YC, 5-5-4-15--11-15- ; 55
Laser – Top 5
1. Richie Gordon, Cedar Point YC, 1-1-1-2--2-2- ; 9
2. Ford McCann, Texas Corinthian YC/ GCYSA, 7-3-2-9-7--3- ; 31
3. Nicholas Sertl, Conanicut and Rochester YCs, 6-4-3-3--5-15- ; 36
4. Colin Brego, St Thomas YC, 2-[24/OCS]-7-13-4-6-5- ; 37
5. Marshall McCann, Texas Corinthian YC/ C-Vane, 4-2-4-1-17--10- ; 38
F16 – Top 5
1. Mark Brunsvold/Anderson Brunsvold, Sarasota Youth Sailing, 1-2-2-2-1--1-2-1- ; 12
2. Palmer Galt Oliver/James Tucker McElwaney, Red Gear Racing, 3-3--1-2-2-4-3-2- ; 20
3. Jackson Wagner/Jackson Ritter, San Francisco YC, 2-1-1-3-4--5-4-4- ; 24
4. Geronimo Nores/Manuel Nores, Miami YC, 5-[6/DNF]-6/DNF-6/DNS-3-1-2-1-3- ; 27
5. Taylor Brunsvold/Lillian Myers, Sarasota Youth Sailing, 4-[6/DNF]-3-4-5-3-3-5-5- ; 32
29er – Top 5
1. Romain Screve/Quinn Wilson, ST. Francis YC-San Francisco YC, 4-6--6-1-2-4-1-2- ; 26
2. Neil Marcellini/Robbie Englehart, Richmond YC, -2-2-1-5-3-6-5-4- ; 28
3. Max Brill/Ian Brill, Mission Bay YC, 2--5-5-3-5-2-4-5- ; 31
4. Samuel Merson/Michael Sabourin, Mission Bay YC, 1-1-1-2-4-11--8-7- ; 35
5. Alexandra Toppa/Liza Toppa, Lauderdale YC, 9--9-9-2-1-1-2-3- ; 36
The 2015 edition of the U.S. Youth Sailing Championships is hosted by Roger Williams University at the newly constructed Richard L. Bready Mount Hope Bay Sailing and Education Center, and supported by the Bristol Yacht Club.
For Twitter updates from the racecourse, daily video highlights, results and standings, photo gallery, and more information from the 2015 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships, please visit the event website.
Social Media Highlights and Interviews
— JP Smollins (@jpsmollins) July 9, 2015
A photo posted by US Sailing (@ussailing) on
— Roger Williams Univ (@myrwu) July 9, 2015
The 2015 U.S. Youth Sailing Championships is sponsored by Gill North America, Sperry, Hobie Sunglasses, and Switlik. This US Sailing National Championships is a Sailors for the Sea certified Clean Regatta.
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, email@example.com
*Photo credit to Matthew Cohen Photography.
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
Sperry was founded in 1935 by avid sailor, inventor and intrepid explorer Paul Sperry. From the invention of the world’s first boat shoe to a full collection of sea-tested lifestyle products, Sperry equips all those who believe the best stories are written with their feet. Proud sponsor of the United States Sailing Team and numerous world-class regattas, Sperry is distributed around the world at independent and department stores in North America, Asia, Europe and Latin America, Sperry specialty retail stores and at Sperry.com. Sperry® is a division of Wolverine World Wide, Inc. one of the world’s leading marketers of branded casual, active lifestyle, work, outdoor sport, athletic, children’s and uniform footwear and apparel. The Company’s portfolio of highly recognized brands also includes: Merrell®, Hush Puppies®, Saucony®, Wolverine®, Keds®, Stride Rite®, Sebago®, Cushe®, Chaco®, Bates®, HYTEST®, and Soft Style®. The Company also is the global footwear licensee of the popular brands Cat® and Harley-Davidson®. The Company’s products are carried by leading retailers in the U.S. and globally in approximately 200 countries and territories. For additional information, please visit our website, www.wolverineworldwide.com.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.
Established in 1920, Switlik Parachute Co. has been owned and operated by the Switlik family for four generations and is known worldwide as a manufacturer of the highest quality sewn and heat sealed inflatable safety and survival products for the aviation, marine, and military/government markets. Our capabilities include a wide variety of anti-exposure and anti-g suits, inflatable life rafts, inflatable life vests, inflation systems and other specialty textile-based military equipment all manufactured at our 85,000 sq. ft facility located in Trenton, NJ USA. www.switlik.com