US SAILING Executive Committee
July 19, 2004 8:00 p.m. E.D.T
Telephone Conference

President Janet Baxter called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m. E.D.T.

Executive Committee members present were: Janet Baxter, Dean Brenner, Jim Capron, Ruth Creighton, Bruce Eissner. Fred Hagedorn, Dick Hanneman, Tom Hubbell, Leslie Keller, Patty Lawrence, Jim Muldoon, and Bill Munster. Absent were Paul Callahan, Don Durant, Joni Palmer and Bill Ross. Also present was Rules Committee Chair Dick Rose. Executive Director Nick Craw in on vacation.

Dick Rose presented two additional US SAILING prescriptions for the 2005-2008 Racing Rules of Sailing.

Action Item:
A motion to approve the Prescriptions as reviewed and approved by subcommittee made up of members of both the Racing Rules and the Executive Committees, was made, seconded and carried.

Action Item:
A motion to approve the Executive Committee Minutes for the June 21, 2004, as amended, was made, seconded and carried.

President Baxter reported on discussions with the Canadian Yachting Association regarding the use of the US SAILING Race Management Handbook. Proposed is a version slightly modified for CYA Prescriptions and other changes suitable for CYA purposes, which retains US SAILING as the originator.

Action Item:
A motion to move forward on this proposal was made, seconded and carried.

Executive Director Nick Craw’s monthly report was discussed and it was noted that membership is stable and not growing. President Baxter emphasized the need to keep a sharp focus on membership retention and growth.

Treasurer Leslie Keller reported that while a first draft of next year’s budget is due in August, there are open accounting issues that could impact our current cash flow situation. Receivables, most of which are connected to sponsorships and the Web store, continue to age. She emphasized the need to produce timely financial information and suggested that this information may have to be generated outside the computerized accounting system if problems with the software cannot be corrected soon.

US SAILING Olympic chair Fred Hagedorn reported that the Sailing Foundation of New York fundraiser that was held at the New York Yacht Club had raised $138,000 for the athletes and that each athlete on the Olympic and Paralympic teams had received $6,000 as a direct result of the event.

Leslie Keller and Patty Lawrence volunteered at Janet Baxter’s request to co-chair the Round Table Discussions at the Portland Meeting. They will be responsible for planning assignment of topics, rooms, and the facilitators; as well as a way to report the findings.

Action Items:

A motion was moved, seconded and carried, to support and endorse a proposal to limit the number of Olympic qualifying events and world championships per continent in each Olympic quadrennium. This submission of the US SAILING Olympic Sailing Committee will be presented by Fred Hagedorn in the required ISAF format prior to the ISAF deadline for submissions.

A motion was made and seconded to submit Carla Scheifer as a nominee for International Measurer for both the Tornado Class and A-Class Catamaran Classes. She has been endorsed by the Tornado A Fleet as well as the Tornado Class Fleet. Since the deadline for submission is September 1, a vote was postponed to the next ExCom meeting pending total completion of her application.

There was continuing discussion of organizational structure led by Tom Hubbell. The discussion included timetables for By Laws and Legal Committee decisions, and a report that the Canadian Yachting Association had expressed interest in US SAILING reorganization plans.. Preliminary plans were advanced for discussion in an open forum at the Portland AGM.

Jim Muldoon, Chair of the Training Division, announced that 1900 copies of “Brendan in a Box” were sent to USA Sailing Programs as a gift (benefit) from US SAILING.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:46 p.m.

Dick Hanneman