Newport Beach, Calif. (August 12, 2015 ) – The Newport Beach, California area will once again play host to a major match racing event. The Newport Harbor Yacht Club will host the 2015 edition of the U.S. Women’s Match Racing Championship this Friday, August 14 through Sunday, August 16.
Seven talented teams of four will race Governor’s Cup 21 sailboats over three days for the Allegra Knapp Mertz Trophy. Racing begins Friday following a match racing clinic and practice on Thursday, August 13.
- The venue will be in the Pacific Ocean offshore of the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach.
- First racing signal will be 12:00
- Stage 1 – Qualifying Round Robin(s)
- Stage 2 – Semifinal knockout series
- Stage 3 – Petit Final for places 3 and 4
- Stage 4 – Final knockout series for places 1 and 2
- List of Teams
What is at Stake:
- The highest placing eligible skipper will be awarded automatic invitations to:
– 2015 Buddy Melges Challenge: September 17-20 at Sail Sheboygan (Wis.)
– 2015 U.S. Match Racing Championship: October 10-12 at Oakcliff Sailing (N.Y.)
Coverage and Media:
- For results, standings, photos, Twitter updates (#WomensMatch15), and more information on the 2015 U.S. Women’s Match Racing Championship, please visit the event website.
- Perpetual Trophies will be awarded for first and second place: Allegra Knapp Mertz Trophy (winner), Mrs. Charles Francis Adams Memorial Trophy (runner-up)
- US Sailing Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded to the skippers and crews placing first through third, respectively.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish, firstname.lastname@example.org
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or email@example.com.
About Old Pulteney
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky is strongly rooted in the whisky’s nautical heritage and is commonly referred to as ‘The Maritime Malt.’ Old Pulteney is the Official Scotch of US Sailing and recently released a limited-edition ‘Navigator’ expression, commemorating the brand’s sponsorship of the 2013-2014 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Crafted in Pulteney Distillery in Wick, Scotland, the distillery was founded in 1826 by James Henderson in the heart of “Pulteneytown,” one of the largest fishing ports in Europe. Each Old Pulteney expression is carefully crafted and carries the windswept and rugged character of the North and the salty, fresh air of the North Sea. It is distributed by International Beverage, Inc. Visit Old Pulteney on Facebook or at www.oldpulteney.com for more information.
About Switlik Survival Products
Established in 1920, Switlik Parachute Co. has been owned and operated by the Switlik family for four generations and is known worldwide as a manufacturer of the highest quality sewn and heat sealed inflatable safety and survival products for the aviation, marine, and military/government markets. Our capabilities include a wide variety of anti-exposure and anti-g suits, inflatable life rafts, inflatable life vests, inflation systems and other specialty textile-based military equipment all manufactured at our 85,000 sq. ft. facility located in Trenton, NJ USA. www.switlik.com