- Over 10,000 students participated in the Reach program at over 300 schools and sailing centers.
- 141 educators attended the Reach – STEM Educator Course at 12 courses hosted by yacht clubs, sailing centers, and partners throughout the U.S.
- Five grants were awarded to sailing centers implementing Reach with clear identified partners and matching funds.
- 16 scholarships were awarded to teachers and sailing instructors for the STEM Educator Course
- Rolex, Groupe Beneteau, and Gill North America contributed to the Reach program in support of STEM and sailing for youth.
- The TK Foundation awarded Reach a grant to develop a student portfolio book in 2015 which aligns to the 10 Reach modules and tracks student performance using inquiry based instruction. This is a creative way for youth to collect and analyze their own data leading to individual solutions to today’s problems.
- The Bonnell Cove Foundation awarded the Reach program a grant to develop two new environmentally based modules for the middle school level.
- Through the support of the John B. and Nelly Llanos Kilroy Foundation, youth participating in USODA nationals participated in the first Sailing through STEM Night at California Yacht Club. Over 250 youth participated in 12 STEM stations hosted by Life Sail, US Sailing Center Long Beach, Heal the Bay, Team Marine, Loyola Marymount University, Algalita, LA Astronomy all featuring STEM and Sailing in relation to Reach.
- Partnering with Tall Ships America Port Festivals in Dan Point and San Diego, CA youth participated in the Reach simple Machines Scavenger Hunt.
- Partnering with NMEA youth at Strictly Sail Chicago participated in the Reach Simple Machine Scavenger Hunt. Industry leaders held a de-brief for youth highlighting simple machines throughout the show and awarding prized to participants.
- The Reach program was a contributing sponsor of the 2014 Ocean Literacy Summit.
- Partnered with the National Sailing Hall of Fame for the 2014 Learning Math and Science Through STEM and Sailing Consortium.
- Partnered with the VOLVO Ocean Race Newport Stopover providing curriculum for STEM and Sailing for Middle School classrooms
Women of Color Magazine (Fall, 2014) The Downtown Sailing Center partners with You Make A Difference STEMMA Inc. Summer Sailing in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. Read More
The Breeze, (June 2014) The Vision of US Sailing’s Reach Program: Read the full interview with Mr. Jim Kilroy in California Yacht Club’s monthly newsletter, Breeze. Read More