OYSTER BAY, N.Y. (October 20, 2017) – The 2017 U.S. Team Racing Championship for the George R. Hinman Trophy, hosted by Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, got underway on Friday.
Fourteen teams raced under clear and sunny skies with light breeze in the first of three days of racing on Oyster Bay this weekend.
Despite the light wind, the race committee finished over half of the qualifying round robin series. Each team completed either seven or eight of the 13 round robin races scheduled.
Today’s top teams include Hawks Peacocks who got off to an excellent start by winning seven of eight races. The team is composed of mostly Roger Williams University varsity sailors. They return to this Championship for the first time since 2014. Jet Lag dropped just one of seven races on the day. They placed fifth last year at this Championship, and in 2015 they finished second overall. See results and standings.
“It was a beautiful day of racing,” said Shannon Bush, Principal Race Officer. “All of these sailors and teams are really good. There is deep talent out there and it’s really fun to watch. Team racing is a group effort and there is a lot camaraderie.”
“Today we had 8 to 14 knots. They had forecasted more breeze than we actually got, so we had to work with what we had and keep the races to seven to nine minutes long. We managed to do that for the most part. The breeze deteriorated in the afternoon and it started oscillating. We made the decision at around 4:30 to call it a day because we were looking out on the Sound and it wasn’t getting any better with the tide ripping. I didn’t think it would be fair sailing.”
“The forecast is really light tomorrow. It will be a little warmer, but only 2 to 6 knots are forecasted.”
Racing Format and Course Area (subject to change)
- Qualifying Round Robin Series
- Gold/Silver Round Robin Seeding Series
- Knock-out Series – Top 4 Teams: Semifinals, Finals, Petit Finals
Event Coverage & Social Media
- For results and standings, real-time Twitter updates, photos, and more information from the 2017 U.S. Team Racing Championship, please visit the event website.
- Facebook Live: We will be live streaming the racing periodically throughout the championship. Follow US Sailing on Facebook for live streaming updates and alerts.
- For breaking news and race results, follow Twitter hashtag – #Hinman17 – and participate in the conversation throughout the championship on all social media platforms.
- Here is the list of teams competing this week.
- Read the preview.
- Teams raced in the 420E from Zim Sailing.
The 2017 U.S. Team Racing Championship is sponsored by Gill North America, Zim Sailing, Regatta Ginger Beer, Old Pulteney, and Hobie Polarized.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish, email@example.com