Sailing Biography and US Sailing Experience:
- US Sailing Board of Directors (2013-2016)
- US Sailing delegate to the Offshore Racing Congress (ORC) (2013-2016)
- Sailing Yacht Research Foundation (SYRF) Chairman (2012-present)
- Rear Commodore Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC) (2015-2016)
- Storm Trysail Club (STC) Board of Directors (2014-2016)
- Rating & Measurement Rules Committee of the New York Yacht Club Chairman (2010-2016)
- Hudson River Community Sailing (HRCS) Board of Directors (2010-present)
- Yale Sailing Associates (YSA) Ex-Chairman (1993-2013)
- High Performance Rule (HPR) Founder and Committee (2010-present)
- National College Sailor of the Year (1978, Yale)
- 3-Time World Champion – Fireball (1976 & 1977), 505 (1980)
- U.S. Olympic Silver Medalist in the 470 Class as helm (1984)
- U.S. Pan American Silver Medalist in the 470 Class as helm (1983)
- 5 Admiral’s Cups – 1st in Class in BRAVURA (1991)
- Big Boats Owned – Tripp 41 HIGH NOON, Carkeek HP 40 SPOOKIE, TP52 SPOOKIE
– See more at: http://www.ussailing.org/team/steve-benjamin/#sthash.e5IiN4Ji.dpuf
*Married to Heidi Ziegler Benjamin
Words from the Director
It is honor to be on the Board of Directors of US Sailing and to bring an inshore as well as offshore sailor’s and entrepreneur’s experiences and enthusiasm to the Board.
There is a crucial need for coordination among the organizers and supporters of our sport, as well as the valid goal of dramatic growth of the constituents and enhancement of the experiences in sailing on and off the water for all. Using high technology solutions now available, and with international cooperation, it should be possible to make tremendous improvements and growth with sailing. The sport relies on free energy, is appealing to all ages, and gets everyone enjoying the wind and water whether cruising or racing. Hopefully, sailing’s time has come, and I am eager to try and help.
Why should sailors be members of US Sailing?
There are many reasons to join US Sailing. They include safety, education, training, financial, and supporting the administration and growth of sailing nationally and internationally. The membership will actually save you time and money by taking advantage of our member benefits through our many sponsors.
What ideas do you have on reinvigorating and energizing our volunteer base
Volunteers are the heart and soul of US Sailing. At every level, volunteers are making a difference getting more people on the water and enhancing the sport. Perhaps we should conduct a survey of existing volunteers asking why they serve and what would make them want to volunteer more. Run a contest with prizes, such as a free week’s charter for the volunteer that brings in the most new members by a certain date.